    --
    Regards.
    Mark K Vallevand

    Mark K Vallevand, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Mark

    The reboot happens upon successful completion of the generic command at phase 12001. If you have 2 generic commands at 2 different phases ,each having a reboot,
    then reboot occurs twice .

    Nandini[MS]

    Nandini Shenoy, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Mark K Vallevand

    KM Guest

    Mark,

    Knowing the fact that there are some known issues with phases > 12000 this would require testing.

    But it was not clear to me what you asked about.
    You have:
    FBA Generic command (phase 12001) with Reboot=True, this will reboot the device when FBA gets to run this command (phase 12001).
    Not earlier, not later.
    A second FBA Generic command (phase 12002) with Reboot=True, this will reboot the device again when FBA gets to run this command
    (phase 12002).

    So, a reboot will occur twice.

    FBA commands with phases less the 12001 should not be affected by the FBA commands with phases >= 12001.

    Does this help?

    --
    Regards,
    KM, BSquare Corp.

    KM, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Great. Thanks to both responders.

    I just noticed something odd. The FBA Generic Command I have at phase 12099
    is executing during the initial FBA. I thought that 12000 and higher were
    executed after the fbreseal if you set cmiResealPhase to 0 in the System
    Cloning Tool component.

    What am I missing?

    --
    Regards.
    Mark K Vallevand

    Mark K Vallevand, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Mark K Vallevand

    KM Guest

    Mark,

    This is what I mentioned by "some known issues".
    IIRC, if you set up a manual reseal, there are some weird behavior (call time) of the command with phases >= 12000.

    I don't recall exactly now what were the odds but your one sounds similar to what we have seen.

    Anyway, you would probably need to play with it by yourself a bit.
    Always check FBALog to see when your command got called. Also, watch on [HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA]
    subkeys. You will see your command there.

    --
    Regards,
    KM, BSquare Corp.

    KM, Nov 18, 2004
  6. So,
    if { manualReseal && phase>12000 ) maybeIssues = true;

    Could some of the issues be executing the FBA commands out-of-order?

    I'll check the registry after I rebuild with my latest changes. I have
    several commands that I need to execute after reseal when a cloned image is
    first booting. After all of these commands have completed, I want to commit
    and restart. On the headless device I'm using, this should only look like a
    slow first boot, which all customers are aware of. They won't know that
    there might be a reboot happening. When they can see the device is actually
    running after this first boot, they know subsequent boots will be quick.

    --
    Regards.
    Mark K Vallevand

    Mark K Vallevand, Nov 19, 2004
  7. Mark K Vallevand

    KM Guest

    Mark,

    I agree with the "if" statement you drew below :)

    Anyway, if you can't get FBA working properly with the post-reseal commands, consider having your command in a self-cleaning batch
    file that will execute whatever you need included something like reboot.exe.

    On one of my systems I ended up with similar solution (that was not because of the FBA issues, though).

    --
    Regards,
    KM, BSquare Corp.

    KM, Nov 19, 2004
  8. The problem with batch files is that you can't get them to run unless you
    log in. Or, run them as FBA commands.

    I checked my latest build. The registry looks good for my phase 12098 and
    12099 FBA commands. They execute as phase 11999.1 and 11999.2 apparently.
    The FBA log file clearly shows them executing at the wrong time.

    Arrrg. This explains so much.

    Please! Does anyone know how to get Manual Reseal and FBA phase>12000
    commands to work?

    Mark K Vallevand, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Mark K Vallevand

    KM Guest

    Mark,

    > The problem with batch files is that you can't get them to run unless you
    > log in. Or, run them as FBA commands.

    Absolutely. That is why I always combine such solutions with using Autologon.
    The batch:
    - autologons to admin (or user, depending on the needs),
    - does whatever it needs to,
    - cleans up itself from StartUp items (or where you have it),
    - logs off or reboots the machine and it is done.

    > I checked my latest build. The registry looks good for my phase 12098 and
    > 12099 FBA commands. They execute as phase 11999.1 and 11999.2 apparently.
    > The FBA log file clearly shows them executing at the wrong time.
    >
    > Arrrg. This explains so much.

    Yup.

    KM, Nov 19, 2004
  10. I wonder if we are all mis-understanding how FBA and fbreseal works.

    It looks like if the reseal phase is set to 0 in the System Cloning Tool
    component, all it does is prevent automatic reseal. All phases of FBA will
    run. The number 12000 has no meaning other than the default value of the
    reseal phase in the System Cloning Tool component. If the reseal phase is
    set to a non-zero value, I think it simply means that the image is resealed
    at that phase and FBA stops. When rebooted, FBA continues at that phase
    until all phases are complete. I don't think there is a way to set manual
    reseal AND pause FBA at 12000 AND continue FBA after reseal completes.

    Has anyone ever gotten manual reseal and FBA to work as I described it?

    I want manual reseal, with FBA pause before phase 12000, and FBA continue at
    phase 12000 after fbreseal. I say it can't be done.

    Mark K Vallevand, Nov 19, 2004
  11. With autologin, can you still login normally using remote desktop or the
    kb/mouse/vid?
    Autologin might be the answer. Build a little batch file that runs the
    correct commands each time the you login into an special account and make
    that account autologin.

    Mark K Vallevand, Nov 19, 2004
  12. Mark K Vallevand

    KM Guest

    Mark,

    Autologon should not affect remote desktop functionality.

    Also, I forgot to mention in the steps that the batch file also should clears the autologon flag (or the
    DefaultUsser/DefaultPassword reg.values) from registry so that you don't have the Autologon after the post-reseal setup is done.

    --
    Regards,
    KM, BSquare Corp.

    KM, Nov 19, 2004