Favorite video/media player?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Right now im looking for a new video player as the one im currently using (The Core Media Player) doesnt quite work as well on W7 as it did on XP. Anyone have a favorites? Perhaps i just need the proper codecs...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I really rather like Windows Media Centre as supplied within Vista/7 myself and lots of up to date codecs are always a good thing.

I don't care much for either Winamp, Creative or Nero Media Players, but Win DVD is really good. Trouble is, Win DVD want paying for their product, at least for the full version with added facilities such as 5.1 and 7.1 sound.

The free DivX player is good as well, for DivX files.

And although I don't care much for Winamp for movie playback, it's still my preferred audio player after ten years or so and I've tried loads of 'em.

Reaction score
Alf said:
Right now im looking for a new video player as the one im currently using (The Core Media Player) doesnt quite work as well on W7 as it did on XP. Anyone have a favorites? Perhaps i just need the proper codecs...

XBMC ;)

It really is worth a look see Alf, it's kinda low key as in hasn't really caught on yet but, dude, trust me it's really, really powerful. It's also a free download.
Try it out and dump it if ya don't likee.
I'll bet if ya try it, you'll keep it.

http://xbmc.org/ :D

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I actually have that on a couple of PC's, lol, hardly use it though, one I'd overlooked.

I shall reapraise :)

If you had an xbox you could link them together ;)

Yeah Flopp's i have stuff i have overlooked too. The meds i'm using at the mo affect the old noggin ram.
wallbash.gif

So i download stuff and forget i have it.
Then someone mentions it and, i say thats familiar and then find it months later.

You should reaquaint yourself.....it's well good.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Gonna give XBMC a try, also downloaded the latest DivX codecs- just in case. Anyone got any good codec packs? I need support for MKV and OGM type. Good suggestions from everyone - although I cant really try them all :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I know i could goggle codecs for myself, but lot of site seems shady.

Reaction score

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
That site is very confusing as there are multiple 'DOWNLOAD NOW' buttons, Had to make sure i grabbed the right thing. :D

As for XBMC, i gave it a quick try. Although its not as simple as i was hoping - it definitely is a professional style player! The fact that i can tinker with all the options while still watching what im playing is definitely a cool thing. Gonna play more with it later on. :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hey capt Zed, tried the codec download... But it wont work with W7! :)
So im going to get the W7 version instead. :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I used to usse VLC media player but found that MPCHC give a better picture. :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
K-Lite codec player takes care of everything and I have been using it for quite sometime now for my WinXP portion of the dual boot.

For listening to cd's I use the Plextor's Audio player (Plextool's) when listening through the Plextor PX-755UF DVD burner. There is no point in using any other software when burning disks since Plextool's automatically takes care of the offsets since it can detect its own drive and the software takes care of it. The copies could not be any better on any other software.

When I need to prepare a compilation I copy audio using .flv extention and when burning it to disc Plextor software takes care of the convertion as the codec already resides on the hard disk. It is also useful to convert to MP3's later for my GPS to be put on the memory card to go with it.

However when it comes to Linux portion of my dual boot I found VLC player to be the best choice. I have set it up as a default player for all multimedia files.

Ask a Question