Fatal error upgrading from XP Home to XP Pro

Brian

Hi all. I see a lot of errors stemming from install of XP
Pro but none quite like this one. New notebook two weeks
old with XP Home, begin to install XP Pro and after first
reboot @ 39 miinutes remaining get the following Fatal
Error:

--
An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from
continuing.

One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup
could not be installed.

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem
with the disc; try cleaning it or using another disc.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Microsoft will not charge you for assistance with overcoming this error.
In the U.S. call (425) 635-3311.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

| Hi all. I see a lot of errors stemming from install of XP
| Pro but none quite like this one. New notebook two weeks
| old with XP Home, begin to install XP Pro and after first
| reboot @ 39 miinutes remaining get the following Fatal
| Error:
|
| --
| An error has been encountered that prevents Setup from
| continuing.
|
| One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup
| could not be installed.
|
| Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
|
| If you are installing from a CD, there might be a problem
| with the disc; try cleaning it or using another disc.
| --
|
| At this point, the installer is stuck and keeps trying to
| continue the upgrade. Help?

Brian McCaskey

I've called Microsoft and it still isn't resolved. We
performed a chkdsk /r, which returned resolvable errors on
the hard drive. When I tried the installation again, it
still gave the same problem. I was told upgrading from
Home to Pro has to be done "very carefully" in order for
it to work. I don't know how much simpler putting a CDrom
into the drive and letting it do it's thing can be. I'm
not an expert but have worked in software for a number of
years and am not a novice. I've never seen anything like
this before. Next steps?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

"Component Transfer Error" or "Data error (cyclic redundancy check)" error message

Try the following procedure while running XP Home:

1. Double-click the My Computer icon.

2. Locate and double-click Program Files.

3. Locate and double-click Common Files.

4. Right-click the InstallShield folder and select Rename.

5. Name the folder: InstallShieldOld

6. Begin the installation of XP Pro again.

Also see:

Windows XP Setup repeatedly restarts?
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6200/rh6219.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brian McCaskey" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I've called Microsoft and it still isn't resolved. We
| performed a chkdsk /r, which returned resolvable errors on
| the hard drive. When I tried the installation again, it
| still gave the same problem. I was told upgrading from
| Home to Pro has to be done "very carefully" in order for
| it to work. I don't know how much simpler putting a CDrom
| into the drive and letting it do it's thing can be. I'm
| not an expert but have worked in software for a number of
| years and am not a novice. I've never seen anything like
| this before. Next steps?

Brian

Carey:

Thanks for the additional information. If I could get
back to a stable windows environ, I'd be happy.
Unfortunately, I cannot get out of the loop of install-
error-restart-install...

I am able to perform the Recovery Console functions and
whatever problems there were have been corrected. I tried
to reinstall XP Pro after this and encountered the same
errors. I even borrowed a friend's copy of the CD in case
something would not transfer.

What other suggestions do you have? Is there a way to
rename the files as you note below via recover console?