Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like this could be good... lots of exciting games coming out soon :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Let Mr Flops be cynical.

I am getting the pox the way PC games are going, the publishers are trying, and probably succeeding, to take away all the former advantages PC gamers had and foist a console mentality upon us.

That trailer was 7 minutes long and exactly the first half of it was a movie. And the last 45 seconds as well. In between we had a little taste of gameplay. The being able to spray fire by poking the gun over the top of the barricade was good but other than that just more of the same, nothing groundbreaking.

PC games now are usually console ports with much of the time spent playing it watching long cut scenes which pretty much makes the game an interactive movie. There are now usually no options to save the game wherever you like and the difficulty level has been ramped up from games of around five years ago.

This means you now have to frustratingly play quite a few scenes over and over and over again just to reach a check point.

To add insult to injury we will pay 30 or 35 quid for a typical top of the range game then usually less than a month later be invited to pay more money for downloadable content. DLC that was probably part of the original game but has been held back to squeeze more money out of us punters. Some of this DLC will be extra MP maps which were always given away free as patches just a short while ago.

And CoD MW3 will not have any dedicated servers. The waters are being tested to see if players can be made to pay to play PC games online.

The publishers whine about piracy then employ cheapskate penny-pinching methods themselves. I've always paid for PC games but it may be time for me to visit certain places and/or employ that Alcohol software I have. Yes, I know, dangerous words but I'm being driven away from a pastime I love.

With consoles I will accept all that crap cos it has mostly always been like that but I will not be buying a haircut or tattoo pack for my Fable III character, that's ridiculous.

When I get e-mailed by Games Publishers, EA, Ubisoft et al, they expect me to be excited that new DLC is now available for me to buy. Oh thank you fellas, you're now going to make me pay for something you sectioned off of the original finished game just so's I'd have to pay more money for it.

They make me sick.

As for Far Cry 3 if it has one hint of malaria, using a big adjustable wrench to fix a jeep engine or features mission after mission that become boringly repetitive, then I won't be buying it. If it's as good as Far Cry 1 however, I'll probably have some a month or two after release when it drops in price.

Far Cry 2 can now be had for both PC & consoles for a fiver, Far Cry 1 for even less.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I bought this in the Steam sale just before Christmas... what a great game! The ending took me a little by surprise though - it's just a shame Vaas wasn't in it for longer (great character!). Capturing all of the bases was pretty fun too - good practice for some of the takedowns.

Thumbs up from me if it pops up in another Steam sale at some point, which I'm sure it will. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I got it for Christmas ;)

Have played up to meeting Cintra, a tribe leader, who looks like that bird who sang with Skunk Anansie, and I've taken two radio towers so far. The graphics are good, gameplay fresh but I'm still not sure whether I like it or not.

It's very easy to get killed, just stumble upon some red shirts and chance's are you'll have to start over. Still, early days, certainly has the makings, we shall see.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Once you've captured a few more bases, you'll get some better weapons which will make things much more fun :). Silenced weapons are great, as you can pick people off from a distance and capture the base in a different way. BTW - if you spot an animal cage in a base, shoot the cage to let the animal out - makes capturing much easier!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I played it a bit, must confess, i did struggle to get into it, will try it again as almost everyone says how good it it, even if you do have to use Uplay..... :mad:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
...even if you do have to use Uplay..... :mad:

Yeah, I wasn't keen on having to launch Steam, only for that to Launch UPlay... but it's not as bad as Origin so I can't complain ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes i thought that if you get it on Steam then it launches via Steam, not just a launcher for Uplay... That pee'ed me off a little.

I dont mind Origin, but i'd rather have just one (Steam) and not Origin, Uplay and whatever the next one will be... :/

Ask a Question