DiRT 2

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
d01q.jpg

DiRT 2

Formats: PlayStation®3, Xbox 360®, PC, Wii™, Nintendo DS™ and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable)
Publisher: Codemasters http://www.codemasters.com
Developer Codemasters Studios
Releasing: September 2009
Web: http://www.dirt2game.com

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just hope it's better than DIRT 1

Cos that game would not run on any of my machines or my friend's computer.

This assertion is backed up by the fact that DIRT 1 is now on sale in high street GAME stores in their '3 for a tenner' range.

Because of this, I am now wary of Codemasters.

But I remain open minded.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bit more info for ya. :)

Pics, the car models are looking good aint they. :D

4635_84026646663_61759986663_176480.jpg

n61759986663_1764808_3658138.jpg

4635_85263481663_61759986663_178325.jpg

n61759986663_1783256_8170927.jpg

4635_85263496663_61759986663_178325.jpg

n61759986663_1783257_6200876.jpg

n61759986663_1764805_6627999.jpg

n61759986663_1783259_5762247.jpg

New Vids...

E3 Trailer...
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50254.html

In game cam vid...
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/50672.html

Oh and its gonna be DX 11 too...

COLIN McRAE: DiRT 2 GAMES FOR WINDOWS® LIVE EDITION TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF DIRECTX® 11 TECHNOLOGIES

Multi-threading, hardware tessellation and Shader Model 5.0 to turbocharge off-road racer – AMD (NYSE: AMD) powers new levels of visual realism with DirectX 11 software engineering expertise
Monday 6th July/... Codemasters® today announced that the Games For Windows® LIVE edition of Colin McRae: DiRT 2, the thrilling and stylish sequel to the award-winning off-road racer, will support the wealth of new performance enhancing features that will be available in DirectX 11.

With DirectX 11 hardware expected to ship in the second half of 2009, and DirectX 11 coming to home computers with the release of Microsoft Windows 7 on October 22, 2009, Codemasters also announced that the Games For Windows® LIVE edition of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will benefit from an extended development program to take advantage of DirectX 11 and is now scheduled to be published in December 2009.

“While the console editions of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will retain their September ship date, we believe that the DirectX 11 feature set is too compelling to ignore, especially considering how much more it can add to the visual experience for PC gamers,” said Bryan Marshall, chief technical officer, Codemasters. “As a leader in digital racing entertainment, we are staying ahead of the pack by immediately taking advantage of key new technologies such as hardware tessellation, multi-threading and Shader Model 5.0 to deliver the most realistic, immersive and exhilarating racing experiences in the business. The fusion of DirectX 11 with Codemasters’ EGO™ Engine will raise the technical bar considerably in the racing genre.”

With the introduction of Microsoft Windows 7, DirectX 11 will be made available both as part of the operating system and as a downloadable update to Windows Vista. Codemasters intends to immediately take advantage of DirectX 11 features that add to the realism of the racing environment. Hardware tessellation will further improve the appearance of water and other surfaces as well as crowd animations.

The shader performance of Shader Model 5.0 (SM 5.0) will aid in creating an even richer 3D experience, enhancing key image quality parameters such as depth of field, ambient occlusion and shadows. These DirectX 11 features, and many others, will add the horsepower needed to improve performance.

“We expect Codemasters’ early move to DirectX 11 to place them in a leadership position in developing the next generation of PC games and simulations,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president, AMD Products Group. “To aid in transitioning to DirectX 11, AMD is providing Codemasters with access to our software engineering expertise in DirectX 11 technologies such as tessellation and shader modelling. DirectX 11 has all of the ingredients needed to take PC gaming to a new level of realism by giving developers tools to effectively utilize the multi-CPU, multi-GPU systems now available to players.”

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
DiRT 2 DirectX 11 gameplay footage (0:55)

At Microsoft Corp.'s New York Windows 7 Launch Event, Codemasters announced that the DirectX 11-powered Games for Windows Live edition of Colin McRae: DiRT 2 will be shipping on December 1st in North America and releasing on December 3rd through EPAC territories with a December 4th street date in the UK. Codemasters will take advantage of DirectX 11 features to add to the realism of the racing environment. Hardware tessellation will further improve the appearance of water and other surfaces as well as crowd animations. The performance of Shader Model 5.0 will aid in creating an even richer 3D experience, enhancing key image quality parameters such as depth of field, ambient occlusion and shadows. A trailer and five more screenshots have been added in our download section.

Local Download:
DiRT 2 DirectX 11 Trailer (HD) (65.61MB)

http://www.gamershell.com/news_86002.html

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thassa big demo :eek:

I will try this, I desperately need more racing games for my steering wheel, only Race 07, GTR: Evolution and Flat out work with it.

Anybody got the SP on FUEL btw? Any good?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I tried the demo of Fuel from PSN on the PS3. tbh it was w*nk. Not worth it.

*that is just my view btw.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Okey doke, I tried the PC demo as I recall, seemed fair, actually crashed once, just wondered if anybody had tried the full game.

Codemasters are very hit and miss aren't they? They've made some classics and also released total toss.

TOCA Race Driver 3 was and is superb whereas GRID 1 just wouldn't work for me.

I will probably get NFS Shift at some stage, it's only 16 quid now :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
A patch has been released:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/dirt-2-game-pc-1313/408559-01-03-dirt-2-pc-patch-now-out.html

DiRT2 Patch Change Notes

Bug Fixes

Graphics

• Shadow quality setting of “low” is now correctly saved instead of resetting to “medium” Combinations of both high resolutions and high MSAA levels have been restricted on graphics cards with low memory to prevent issues found with those settings
• Added missing function key icons
• Fixed several lighting artefacts in night races
• Fixed missing initial load screen on multi-GPU setups under DX11
• Alt+Tab and Alt+Enter are now better supported under DX11
• Benchmark mode now correctly applies custom settings
• Fixed missing text in benchmark mode pause menu
• Fixed a crash when changing multisampling mode
• Fixed flickering text on stats screen in network mode
• Improved image sharpness in DX9
• Fixes to improve NVIDIA 3D Vision support
• Better default graphics options are chosen when running the game for the first time with a GeForce 8400 GS

Audio

• Fixed an issue where replay music would suddenly cut in when navigating a replay at very slow speeds
• Ensured that OpenAL is properly shut down when exiting the game using Alt+F4
• Prevented reverb cutting in and out abruptly on the Utah tracks

Gameplay

• Fixed player being able to drive through the ground on the Rewang Trailblazer track
• Fixed wall-riding on Battersea routes
• Bug-fixes for LA Stadium, Malaysia Rally and Baja Rally tracks

General

• Fixed a rare crash during the loading sequence
• Fixed an issue in the Russian language version where the default player name is missing from the one-to-watch sequence
• Fixed an issue where loading and saving would fail if multiple controllers were connected
• Fixed a crash which could occur when entering the first race using a motion platform

Changes

• Removed 16x quality coverage sampled anti-aliasing support
• Added support for MS Sidewinder Force-Feedback USB Wheel
• Added support for Logitech Driving Force USB Wheel
• Added support for Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2 USB controller
• Machines with 6 cores will now use the 4-core worker map rather than the single core map

Optimisations

• Optimised shadow rendering
• Optimised CPU performance on machines with SMT and multiple cores
• Improvements to frame-rate fluidity and triple-buffering support

Once it goes live the game should automatically update with the new patch when you start it up via Steam or GFWL.

Steam DL'ed mine last night, about 570mb.

A good performance boost it seems. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New patch is GOOD! :D

While I'm here, some DX11 Screeies for you, all maxed down from 1920x1200.

Just look at the Tesselated water in the lower shots.. :cool:

2j1lmw8.jpg

2vdp3qu.jpg

izyuc9.jpg

These are from the benchmark, I wasn't driving!! :D

72up74.jpg

246j59g.jpg

5x0s44.jpg

261cd2f.jpg

Ask a Question