Fan wiring

Reaction score
I'm going to fix a fan from a failed psu into the side of my PC case, near the front, as I've installed 2 HD's (lots of heat) and there's no case fan at the front of the case, and nowhere to fit one. The only air inlet is at the rear (passive), and so is the air outlet from the psu. On my M/B there's a spare 3-pin Molex connector, and the fan I intend to use has 4 wires coming from it. There's a red and black terminating in a 2-pin Molex connector and there's a white and black terminating in a 3-pin Molex connector. Could the white wire be a data wire, indicating fan speed? Or are all 4 wires just +V and earth?
Thanks,
Mike

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm going to fix a fan from a failed psu into the side of my PC case, near the front, as I've installed 2 HD's (lots of heat) and there's no case fan at the front of the case, and nowhere to fit one. The only air inlet is at the rear (passive), and so is the air outlet from the psu. On my M/B there's a spare 3-pin Molex connector, and the fan I intend to use has 4 wires coming from it. There's a red and black terminating in a 2-pin Molex connector and there's a white and black terminating in a 3-pin Molex connector. Could the white wire be a data wire, indicating fan speed? Or are all 4 wires just +V and earth?
Thanks,
Mike

http://www.overclock.net/other-hardware-mods/203950-faq-power-pinouts-wiring.html

This might help you out. :cool:

Ask a Question