F-Prot and F-Secure the same thing?

Discussion in 'Anti-Virus' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=, Jun 26, 2004.

  1. Same company? Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it. Which is the better product? F-Prot's website has nothing about Scob, which is odd...

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=, Jun 26, 2004

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:

    >Same company?

    No.

    >Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it.

    Creates what?

    >Which is the better product?

    F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    , Jun 26, 2004

  3. wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it.

    > Creates what?

    F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever. Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time, the same company. I can't find the screenshot now but there is a Win95 F-Secure "about" dialog with Frisk as the developer, not F-Secure.

    > >Which is the better product?

    > F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

    What's so special about that engine? How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does it detect compared to other engines?

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=, Jun 27, 2004
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

    Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:29:43 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hard to tell from the F-Secure website what company creates it.

    >> Creates what?

    >F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever.

    >Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time,
    >the same company.

    No. Up until recently, F-Secure used the F-Prot scan engine (as well
    as KAV).

    >> >Which is the better product?

    >> F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

    >What's so special about that engine?

    It's just very good and reliable in many respects.

    >How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does
    >it detect compared to other engines?

    It's one of the best in every category.

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    , Jun 27, 2004
  5. Eep² wrote:

    > F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever. Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time, the same company. I can't find the screenshot now but there is a Win95 F-Secure "about" dialog with Frisk as the developer, not F-Secure.

    F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
    simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
    no idea why.
    Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
    DEF files.

    > What's so special about that engine? How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does it detect compared to other engines?

    KAV doesn't detect any "virii" but it's quite good at detecting viruses. ;-)

    Frederic Bonroy, Jun 27, 2004
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

    harry wong Guest

    I was going to comment but my dogii are barking.

    "Frederic Bonroy" <> wrote in message
    > Eep² wrote:
    >
    > > F-Secure--anyway, seems F-Secure Corp creates it...whatever. Though I

    think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time, the same
    company. I can't find the screenshot now but there is a Win95 F-Secure
    "about" dialog with Frisk as the developer, not F-Secure.

    > F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
    > simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
    > no idea why.
    > Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
    > DEF files.
    >
    > > What's so special about that engine? How many

    virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does it detect compared to other engines?

    > KAV doesn't detect any "virii" but it's quite good at detecting viruses.

    ;-)

    harry wong, Jun 27, 2004
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

    James Egan Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:52:51 +0200, Frederic Bonroy
    <> wrote:

    >F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
    >simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
    >no idea why.

    >Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
    >DEF files.

    iirc in the late nineties if you were commercial (european) you were
    obliged to buy f-secure not f-prot.

    Also, f-secure used the f-prot engine as well as avp (now kav) engine
    and now have their own scanner instead of f-prot.

    Setaro will explain all, hopefully.

    Jim.

    James Egan, Jun 28, 2004
  8. wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 02:29:43 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:07:00 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:
    > >>

    > >Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time,
    > >the same company.

    > No. Up until recently, F-Secure used the F-Prot scan engine (as well
    > as KAV).

    Why?

    > >> F-Secure since it uses the KAV scan engine.

    > >What's so special about that engine?

    > It's just very good and reliable in many respects.
    >
    > >How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does
    > >it detect compared to other engines?

    > It's one of the best in every category.

    How so?

    Specifics, man! :p

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=, Jun 28, 2004
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:18:58 GMT, Eep² <> wrote:

    >> >Though I think Frisk (F-Prot developer) and F-Secure were, at one time,
    >> >the same company.

    >> No. Up until recently, F-Secure used the F-Prot scan engine (as well
    >> as KAV).

    >Why?

    Ask F-Secure.

    >> >What's so special about that engine?

    >> It's just very good and reliable in many respects.
    >>
    >> >How many virii/trojans/backdoors/whatever does
    >> >it detect compared to other engines?

    >> It's one of the best in every category.

    >How so?
    >
    >Specifics, man! :p

    There haven't been any comprehensive tests done recently. But you can
    check the independent test sites mentioned here:

    http://www.claymania.com/anti-virus.html

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    , Jun 28, 2004
  10. On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:40:55 +0100, James Egan <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:52:51 +0200, Frederic Bonroy
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>F-Secure's product used the F-Prot engine and the KAV engine
    >>simultaneously until recently. The F-Prot engine was dropped but I have
    >>no idea why.

    >>Additonnally, F-Secure also offered F-Prot for DOS and even made its own
    >>DEF files.
    >>

    >iirc in the late nineties if you were commercial (european) you were
    >obliged to buy f-secure not f-prot.
    >
    >Also, f-secure used the f-prot engine as well as avp (now kav) engine
    >and now have their own scanner instead of f-prot.
    >
    >Setaro will explain all, hopefully.

    I'll try... My memory is a bit fuzzy on some of this... So don't take
    this as fact. (Hopefully, Frisk or Nick will fill in or correct the
    missing or mangled bits)

    If memory serves the story goes something like this...

    1) Frisk Created F-Prot.

    2) Frisk licensed the F-Prot engine to Command Software Systems and
    Data Fellows (no F-Secure).

    3) Command Software and Data Fellows developed and sold anti-virus
    software branded as "F-Prot Professional" in their respective
    territories. (IRCC North America & the UK for Command Software and the
    European continent for Data Fellows.

    4) At some point in the late 90s Data Fellows and Command Software
    started selling their products globally.

    5) Command Software rebranded their version of F-Prot Professional as
    Command Anti-virus.

    6) Data Fellows rebranded their version of F-Prot Professional as
    F-Secure Anti-Virus and entered into a licensing agreement with a
    Kaspersky Labs and began integrated both the F-Prot and AVP scanning
    engines into FSAV.

    7) Data Fellows changed its name to F-Secure and went public.

    8) Command Software was acquired by or merged with Authentium.

    9) (recently) F-Secure replaced F-Prot engine their own Orion & Lybra
    engines... The Orion engine is heuristic engine designed specifically
    to detect Win32 malware . The Lybra engine handles script and macro
    viruses.

    (This make perfect since to me BTW. The F-Prot and KAV engines
    essentially replicate each others detection capabilities, at least in
    terms of "legacy" viruses... Why continue using two scanning engines
    that essentially duplicate each others detection capabilities when you
    can replace one then with a scanning engines that are specifically
    designed to deal with the current and/or future malware.)

    Cheers-

    Jeff Setaro
    jasetaro@SPAM_ME_NOT_mags.net
    http://people.mags.net/jasetaro/
    PGP Key IDs DH/DSS: 0x5D41429D RSA: 0x599D2A99 New RSA: 0xA19EBD34

    Jeffrey A. Setaro, Jun 28, 2004
  11. Do you have a direct link to where F-Secure is "the best in every category"?

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Eep=B2?=, Jun 29, 2004