F@H ... go faster stripes

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Q: Can I make it go any faster?

A: Yes, you can. Edit the shortcut from which F@H is run (normally this can be found in "Start -> Program Files -> Start up"), right click this shortcut and select preferences. In the destination field add the following flags:

-forceasm -advmethods

Ie. destination field could look like this on an XP CPU:
"C:\Program Files\Folding@home\FAH502-Console.exe" -forceasm -advmethods

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Mucks, I don't seem to get preferences only properties if I right click Start>Programs>Startup>Folding@Home 5.03.

Do I just add it to the string in the target box like this: "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -forceasm -advmethods

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, just add ... :thumb:

I nicked it off another team forum, so I have no idea if it actually makes any difference. :blush:

This F@H has some favorites ... one of the ways to "make" it run faster is to use it as a "service" ... another is to use P4s as they are the only PC that gets QMD WUs @ 400points a day :rolleyes: ... Linux users are better off running it under Windows, that is, using "Wine" and install the Windows version. :confused:

All in all I don't like it one bit ... wish I knew before we started ... I know I'm the one who says points don't matter, but when it takes 3-4 days to do one WU I wonder why I'm bothering, even though I seem to be doing better than others. :(

The "software" does not seem inteligent enough to utilise your PC to the best ... you have to "tweak" it. :rolleyes:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Mucks, just done a re-boot on my machine and F@H Log confirms that the optimisation you suggested is up and running.

It does give a warning though:

Launch directory: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home
Arguments: -forceasm -advmethods

Warning:
By using the -forceasm flag, you are overriding
safeguards in the program. If you did not intend to
do this, please restart the program without -forceasm.
If work units are not completing fully (and particularly
if your machine is overclocked), then please discontinue
use of the flag.

I think you have to be careful with this if using AMD's and overclocking...;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yes you will ... and if you have any problems overclocking will be the culprit to look at first.

;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
What it doesn't make clear is HOW you remove the flag if you need to as it no longer appears as an extension in the destination field string, so will have to investigate further....

muckshifter

Reaction score
You simply re-run omitting that 'flag' 'n that's it ... took me ages to figure how to restart the bloody thing in Linux, same thing, you re-run the program. :rolleyes:

Now I have it in Wine it automatically restarts. :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
You simply re-run omitting that 'flag' 'n that's it ... took me ages to figure how to restart the bloody thing in Linux, same thing, you re-run the program. :rolleyes:

Mucks, I did a re-boot without the extension to the string and still the log shows the warning....:confused:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No, I'm using the Windows GUI - do you think the console is a better way to go?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, i have been using the console for the past 48 hours. In that short time i can say its faster than the GUI. :thumb:

It dont look as nice as the GUI, all you get is the command prompt, Then you download the Electron Microscope 3, the monitoring tool.

Chech the sticky for info about it. Here

:thumb::)

But in view of recent events you may want to hold off to see what happens.

Ask a Question