F@H Core's, a quick explanation.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Here's something i found that may interest some of you. :)

There are two main types of cores currently in use by the F@H project : Gromacs and Tinker.

The Gromac core is a highly optimised computing core which comes from the contribution of Gromac and Stanford. The WU's which use the Gromac core typically have 100 frames, and they complete quite quickly. The Gromac core is optimised for modern processors, and will give you the best speed and points. In short : to get points fast, you WANT these WU's

The Tinker core was made specifically for Folding@Home... and was the original core. The WU's consist of 100 to 400 frames, and typically take a few days to complete. The Tinker core is in the process of being optimised, but most new computations are done with the faster Gromacs core. But certain calculations cannot be done with the Gromacs core, and so the Tinker core is continuing to be used.

In order to get mostly Gromacs WU's, you should pass the -advmethods parameter to the console client.

I know there is also an 'Amber Core' but i cant fine much about it. :(

V_R

EDIT: scratch that, heres something... http://folding.stanford.edu/AMBER.html

Last edited:

Ask a Question