Extremely slow boot times with Windows 2000

prof chen

I am experiencing extremely slow boot times with Windows 2000.
It takes at least 20 minutes to start, even in safe mode.

Once it starts it works fine.

I need a way to log how it starts, and a way to avoid the start up
screen to see what is happening behind the scenes. Even the display of
files loading in safe mode won't show up.

When I go to the Disk Management screen, nothing shows up. just a notice
saying "Connecting to Logical Disk Manager Service ..." that shows forever.

Whenever I try to run Partition Magic I get a notice saying

Init Failed Error: 100

Partition Table is bad

I run chkdsk /f however and it reported no major problems and fixed
those it found.

I am able to boot quickly with a BartPE Boot disk and that starts
quickly with no problems.

system setup is

AMD Duron 1300
768 Mb DDR Ram
Elite ECS k7S5A

Only unusual item is probably the VIA Based USB/Firewire PCI Adapter,
LifeView TV Card.

They all work fine when it starts.

My main need now is to find a way of tracing what happens at start up.

I will try to use Fixmbr etc later once I see what is happening.

Any ideas?

Terrence Tan

Take a look at the ntbtlog.txt located in the systemroot. Boot logging is
enabled when using any Safe Mode option or by adding /bootlog switch to the
boot.ini file.
A good reference is KB 239780 Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini
File
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239780

As far as the issue, suggestions would be:
- Check event viewer for errors. Particularly IDs 9, 11, 50s.
- Is LDM service running?
- What does windows explorer show for the drive? Is it accessible from
windows explorer?
- Could be possible corrupt LDM - there is a dmpss tool to repair the LDM,
but you will have to call Microsoft Support Services.

Terrence Tan

Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me.
This allows others to add to and benefit from these threads
and also helps to ensure a more timely response.
This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either
expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the
implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose.
The views and opinions expressed in this newsgroup posting
are mine and do not necessarily express or reflect the views
and/or opinions of Microsoft.
<Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:50:19 +0100
<From: prof chen <[email protected]>
<Subject: Extremely slow boot times with Windows 2000