Extract gpedit from Install Disks

E

Eric Thompson

Is there a way to extract the gpedit function from my WXP Pro install disks? The program doesn't work when I type "gpedit.msc" in the Run dialogue.

Thanks

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

No. You cannot install gpedit in Windows XP Home Edition.

Try Doug's Security Console
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

Is there a way to extract the gpedit function from my WXP Pro install disks? The program doesn't work when I type "gpedit.msc" in
the Run dialogue.

Thanks

T

Tom

Is there a way to extract the gpedit function from my WXP Pro install disks? The program doesn't work when I type "gpedit.msc" in the Run dialogue.

Thanks

--
Eric Thompson
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Do you get an error of any kind, or are you restricted from opening up that console?

T

Tom

You have to be thebiggst idiot here, simply because you NEVER READ THE EFFINGS POSTS!
Where in the hell does he say anything about Home Edition???? He specifically stated getting the console by extracting it from his XP Pro disk (Note you non-post reading lamer) that he said PRO!

This is yet another in how Carey posts read and react help, because of his inability to spend time doing comprehensive reading in the OPs.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

"Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft Management Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826282&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

Is there a way to extract the gpedit function from my WXP Pro install disks? The program doesn't work when I type "gpedit.msc" in
the Run dialogue.

Thanks

E

Eric Thompson

I get an error that says "cannot find gpedit, make sure the path and filenames are..... "

I have since gotten a little smarter and typed the full filename "gpedit.msc" and it now works........ Thanks for the offer of help anyway!

--
Eric Thompson
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks

--
Eric Thompson
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Do you get an error of any kind, or are you restricted from opening up that console?

E

Eric Thompson

I realize that I mentioned typing the full filename in the first post, but according to the retained record of the items typed in the Run dialogue, I had not tried that yet..... sorry for the curveball.

--
Eric Thompson
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)
I get an error that says "cannot find gpedit, make sure the path and filenames are..... "

I have since gotten a little smarter and typed the full filename "gpedit.msc" and it now works........ Thanks for the offer of help anyway!

--
Eric Thompson
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

Thanks

--
Eric Thompson
(e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed)

A

Alex Nichol

Tom said:
You have to be thebiggst idiot here, simply because you NEVER READ THE EFFINGS POSTS!
Where in the hell does he say anything about Home Edition???? He specifically stated getting the console by extracting it from his XP Pro disk (Note you non-post reading lamer) that he said PRO!

But you still cannot use it on an XP Home - so there is some relevance

Extract of file, use MSconfig.exe and the Expand file button to expand
the file \i386\gpedit.ms_ on the CD into Windows\system32\gpedit.msc
and gpedit.dl_ as gpedit.dll

Ask a Question