external parallel cd rom

Reaction score
Hope someone can help

Ive bought a cheap SSI parallel port IDE/SCSI/CD rom model SI-380 external cd-rom in order to load data to my Toshiba Libretto Win 95 mini notebook (it only has a floppy)

It connects to the parallel port on the Librettos port replicator
The BIOS/CMOS Ive checked and seems correctly set up at EPP in the parallel port mode.
However when I install the floppy disc P IDE EPEZ device driver, on re boot the CD Rom is not present in my computer.

I have an error messages, in Control Panel, System properties, Device Manager, SCSI controller is a yellow exclamation "Shuttle EPAT Parallel Port Harddice drivers locaisk Adapter" properties reveals, the device is not present, not working, or does not have the drivers installed. Code 10

I also get a dos error on windows boot up which says

Driver not installed
ASPI CD Rom device driver version 3.51
ASPI manager not found
Device driver not installed
C:\>C:\EPAT\DOS\SHTLMAN\CORELCDX/D:ASPI_CD
Corel CD-Rom extensions for DOS v 1.15b

DriverASPI-CD not found
***ERROR:no valid cd-rom device drivers located***

any thoughts suggestions most appreciated

Reaction score
download and install aspi???

bit before my time all this.

mucks 'll be able to help

welcome to pcreview scott (i'm usually more helpful than this) (possibly debateable) we'll see

Reaction score
Which version of Windows? If this is an old machine, which is what it sounds like, CD-ROM extensions/device drivers used to be on the floppy boot disk supplied with Windows or they were supplied as a separate disk with external drives. If your laptop was supplied without a CD-ROM, the extensions may not be present on the HDD and you will need to install them so that they are loaded from autoexec.bat when you boot up. You need to look on the floppy that came with the drive for a file called MSCDEX.EXE or read the following article.

http://www.techadvice.com/tech/M/MSCDEX.htm

ASPI drivers are for SCSI (and sometimes ATAPI)devices. Your drive would only need the ASPPI Drivers when used as a SCSI device, I think.
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aa571/aspi.htm

Are you sure this drive is supported by your machine? Have you got a file called ATAPI.SYS on your hard drive?

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks for the tips, I surprised myself and obtained the necessary driver from the manufacturers website, the cd-rom jumped into life!

yes the libretto is old and win 95, but its still the worlds smallest windows pc and gets admiring glances wherever I take it

Ask a Question