Explorer very slow

Terry Pinnell

Simple operations like moving up a folder tree are beginning to take
forever. This is a problem that I've raised before over the years in
various newsgroups and forums. Sometimes it sort of gets back to
tolerable speed, other times like now it's glacial. Inconsistent too.
Sometimes, once I've managed to open a large folder (30 secs isn't
unusual), subsequently opening its subfolders is at the normal brisk
speed.

Taking it as read that I do all the 'obvious' stuff (like
defragmenting, regular deletion of temporary files, etc), does nay one
have any thoughts on a possible cause please?

I've used FileMon and RegMon occasionally to look for clues, but no
real success. There's so much info presented by these tools...

From time to time I've wondered whether maybe Norton Unerase (part of
SystemWorks 2002) could be implicated, but don't want to uninstall it
unless I have some evidence, as it's sometimes quite handy when I've
accidentally deleted an important file and the Recycle Bin hasn't
caught it.

Any advice would be much appreciated please.

Gerry

Terry

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

How much RAM memory?

How large is your hard disk and how much free space.

What are you relying on System Works 2002 for? Most Norton products are
resource hogs. Your version should have been retired long ago. Can you
still get definition updates? There are better freeware products
available.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terry Pinnell

Gerry said:
Terry

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

Total 371424
Limit 2521476
Peak 668436

How much RAM memory?

1 GB
How large is your hard disk and how much free space.

I have several drives & partitions:

Name Total Size Free Space
------------------------ ---------- ----------
System (C:) 11.7 GB 1.16 GB
Data (D:) 178 GB 84.8 GB
Copy OS (E:) 11.7 GB 2.45 GB
TEMP-MyMusicBU 11GB (F:) 11.7 GB 989 MB
Backup 47GB (J:) 44.1 GB 1.01 GB
Movies BU (N:) 42.9 GB 24.5 GB

Almost all of my activity is with C: and D:.

FWIW, since my post, I just defragmented both, and noted that -
although I have Diskeeper set to automatic operation ('Set It Forget
It') - they were both fairly fragmented. But I don't *think* this is
down to a fragmentation issue.

What are you relying on System Works 2002 for? Most Norton products are
resource hogs. Your version should have been retired long ago. Can you
still get definition updates?

Apart from Norton Unerase, the only other utility I use from System
Works 2002 nowadays is a weekly scan with System Doctor etc. Removed
NAV ages ago, and now use AVG Free. Could easily dispense with the
scan, as I expect CCleaner does as good or better. But, as mentioned,
I do value the unerase tool.
There are better freeware products available.

Could you suggest a couple I might try please? I would ideally like to
remove all Norton - although I gather it is sometimes hard to do!

Gerry

Terry

The peak at 668436 is high but as you have 1 gb RAM should mean that you
are probably not utilising the pagefile overmuch.

Do you leave the computer on 24/7? Are you using graphics / camera
related programmes much? Undo features can generate large memory
demands.

How are the drives partitioned? You have given information on the
partitions but not how they go together.

What Disk Utility did you use to create the partitions.

Your system partition contains less than 10% free space. I am not sure
what the requirements of Diskeeper are regarding free space but
increasing free space would be beneficial..

Are you using System Restore? What is the % space allocation to System
Restore? Where is pagefile.sys located?

You can use cCleaner (freeware) which does a more thorough job than Disk
CleanUp.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
http://www.ccleaner.com/

With any cleaner you need to proceed with caution. To be safe you
should create a restore point before using cCleaner. cCleaner also
offers backup before removal.

When using cCleaner think twice before checking Autocomplete Form
History under Internet Explorer. You do get a warning but this one has
irritating consequences. You may need to restore your system's
recollection of passwords after use so keep a record off computer so
that they can easily be re-entered.

Leave the Scan for Issues option alone.

Try also Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
Restore points?

cCleaner does not deal with Restore Points.

You are already using AVG 7.5 Free, which is what I use. You have not
mentioned any anti-spyware protection or the Firewall you are using.
Windows Defender provides Real Time protection. Microsoft now offer
Wndows Live OneCare but my inclination is to stay away.

Both Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot offer freeware versions not always
obvious until you search links on their sites:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

What do you use System Doctor? A careful watch on Event Viewer reports
does the same job?

I have no suggestions for an unerase tool although Restoration is
interesting. I am not sure they compare in terms of effectiveness. It
has worked for me:
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terry Pinnell

Gerry said:
Terry

The peak at 668436 is high but as you have 1 gb RAM should mean that you
are probably not utilising the pagefile overmuch.

Thanks Gerry, appreciate your detailed help.
Do you leave the computer on 24/7?

Yes, I do. Reboots are usually only after a crash or freeze.
Are you using graphics / camera related programmes much?

Yes. But the slow-down also occurs when I'm *not* running anything
particularly heavy (such as rendering an edited movie into DVD-ready
MPEG form). On the other hand, many of my folders do contain a lot of
graphics and video files, so refreshing thumbnails must be a factor
here I guess?
Undo features can generate large memory demands.

Yes, hence my interest in Norton Unerase as a potential contributor.
However, I have that running permanently (of course - not much use
otherwise!), so surely the performance hit would be permanent too?
How are the drives partitioned? You have given information on the
partitions but not how they go together.

Here's a screenshot
http://kotuha.com/file/DthJO-DiskMgmtSep07.html
(My first use of a new file hosting service I've discovered recently.)
What Disk Utility did you use to create the partitions.

A while ago now, but I think mainly XP's built-in tool. Possibly also
PowerQuest Partition Magic 7.0. And DriveImage 2002 to place the OS
copy on E: Not sure though how any of that can have a bearing?
Your system partition contains less than 10% free space. I am not sure
what the requirements of Diskeeper are regarding free space but
increasing free space would be beneficial..

Good point, yes. It's occasionally gone even lower! I've been
installing into D:\Program Files for some years now (this PC is 5
years old), but C: still gradually gets fuller somehow. I'm limited in
my options here. I'm nervous about shifting major apps (e,g. Office)
from C:, but I guess might have to bite the bullet and do that.

More drastically, I suppose I could re-learn how to use PowerQuest
Partition Magic 7.0 and increase C: at the expense of N: (a backup
partition, mainly for my family movie files).

And I've just seen that see pcbutts and Unknown have also focused on
this as a likely cause, so I'll take a harder look. I'd thought 10%
spare capacity was OK, but apparently not?
Are you using System Restore? What is the % space allocation to System
Restore?

Yes, but only on C: and D: I'm not even sure I should have D: set? Is
it usual to set SR only on your OS partition? In which case I'll
disable it on D:.
C: 2% (200 MB)
D: 1% (2234 MB)
I'd welcome recommendations on any changes.
Where is pagefile.sys located?

D: (1.49 GB)
You can use cCleaner (freeware) which does a more thorough job than Disk
CleanUp.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
http://www.ccleaner.com/
With any cleaner you need to proceed with caution. To be safe you
should create a restore point before using cCleaner. cCleaner also
offers backup before removal.

Yes, maybe I wasn't clear, I have that. Run it daily.
When using cCleaner think twice before checking Autocomplete Form
History under Internet Explorer. You do get a warning but this one has
irritating consequences. You may need to restore your system's
recollection of passwords after use so keep a record off computer so
that they can easily be re-entered.

Good tip, thanks. I reckon that may explain some difficulties I had a
week ago logging in to some of my usual forums.
Leave the Scan for Issues option alone.

Why? In fact I've tended to use that more than the Windows and
Applications tabs (as I rather like keeping lots of history and recent
links etc.)
Try also Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp,
More Options, System Restore and remove all but the latest System
Restore points?

cCleaner does not deal with Restore Points.

You are already using AVG 7.5 Free, which is what I use. You have not
mentioned any anti-spyware protection

Spybot and Adaware run regularly. Occasional scans (like just before
my OP) with ewido and a few others.
or the Firewall you are using.

The MS one built in to Win XP.
Windows Defender provides Real Time protection. Microsoft now offer
Wndows Live OneCare but my inclination is to stay away.

Both Lavasoft Adaware and Spybot offer freeware versions not always
obvious until you search links on their sites:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

What do you use System Doctor for?

Habit, I guess! Been doing so on various versions of Windows for many
years. Always find stuff and I let it 'fix' them. I agree there's
probably a high overlap with CCleaner. But, from last time I checked
thoroughly, it's not 100%, so seems no harm in running both. Just as I
run AdAware and Spybot (and am still getting advised to use more!).
A careful watch on Event Viewer reports does the same job?

Some of the entries I get in Event Viewer seem to have been around for
years, and depress me! Maybe I'll post separately on that sometime.
I have no suggestions for an unerase tool although Restoration is
interesting. I am not sure they compare in terms of effectiveness. It
has worked for me:
http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.htm

Thanks, I'll follow up.

Terry Pinnell

pcbutts1 said:
Change your swapfile to drive D: or N:. You have 1GB of ram but only 1.16GB
free space on C:

Thanks. It's already on D:

Please also see my detailed last post to Gerry, for more info.

Terry Pinnell

Unknown said:
Drive C is too small.

Thanks. Several others (Gerry and pcbutts) also focusing on that, so I
will too. Please also see my detailed reply to Gerry, with more info.

Anyone recommend I try adding say 2 GB to C:, subtracting it from N:?
How safely can it be done? I have PowerQuest Partition Magic 7.0,
although I'll have to study to rectal how to use it again!

Gerry

Terry

Leaving a computer on 24/7 is not ideal. If your programmes have any
memory leaks you only remove their cumulative affect when the computer
is restarted. I leave mine on during the day, switching off when I go to
bed.

The read write speeds to CD/ DVD/floppy are slower than to hard disk and
infinitely slower than to RAM memory. What is your CPU processor speed?

I have looked in Google to see what has been said recently about Norton
Unerase. You must one of only a few still using this programme. It
clearly has been a major cause of memory problems. I have no personal
knowledge of the programme but do you need it? Many users today clone
drives / data partitions and monitor the Recycle Bin, which I assume you
are not using as you will have Norton Protected Storage. In Task Manager
what is the amount of virtual memory allocated to Norton Unerase? How
large is the Norton Protected Storage file?

Why do you have 1.18 gb unallocated space on Drive 0?

I asked about Disk Utilities because it is helpful to know when drives
are partitioned how easy it might be for the other person to make
changes.

Your partitioning structure is not how I might have set up your system.
You have two hard drives and a removable drive. Your pagefile for
optimal performance should be in it's own partition as the first
partition on Disk 1. I am not sure what the experts would say about
placing it on a removable drive. I am also not sure about putting
programme files on a removable drive and with data files. Normally if
your system goes down and you need to replace the operating system you
will have to reinstall all programmes. In your set up you have the
ability to copy a backup of the operating system over the failed copy of
the operating system so this necessity may be avoided. What do you do if
you lose the contents of your removable drive? What does Partition J
contain? How often are you updating Partition E?

System Restore should only monitor the System Partition i.e. C.
Monitoring a removable drive is not a good idea because you can find
that restore points created do not work when you need them. System
Restore becomes confusing if a drive is sometimes there and sometimes
not. A 200 mb space allocation on C is too small. I generally suggest
700 mb.

In cCleaner the Scan for Issues can create more problems than the value
of solutions it provides. The problem is that if you decide to make
changes on the basis of what you are told you need to understand the
implications of the changes. These can be thrown at you in large numbers
and many users just do not understand what they are being invited
to do. The consequences can be a total system failure when the
potential gain was a marginal improvement in system performance. All
MVP's (I am not one) discourage the use of Registry Cleaners. Removing
history etc is not using the Scan for Issues button, which specifically
goes through the Registry looking for redundant entries.

You need to deal with Event Viewer Error / Warning reports as they
arise. When they accumulate it can be difficult to work which report
relates to which problem and what triggers off a problem. I have made a
point of encouraging users to post copies of Error Reports because they
are factual and not opinions. Many users do not appreciate all the clues
they offer, especially when researching in Google etc.

There are other reasons why Explorer can be slow but my feeling is if
you remove Norton Unerase, even if only temporarily, you will see a
performance boost.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Terry Pinnell

Unknown said:
I would opt for a minimum 40 GB C drive.

Why?

It's grown from maybe 9 GB to its present 11 GB in several years. Even
allowing an extra 5 GB, what would you use the other 24 GB for? As I
said, I install all new apps to D:\Program Files

Unknown

To allow the computer to run efficiently (faster) More temp space for
internet activities, more space for system restore files, working space for
defrag, etc. etc. etc.
Terry Pinnell said:
Unknown said:
I would opt for a minimum 40 GB C drive.

Why?

It's grown from maybe 9 GB to its present 11 GB in several years. Even
allowing an extra 5 GB, what would you use the other 24 GB for? As I
said, I install all new apps to D:\Program Files

pcbutts1

It is much simpler to just to just change your swapfile.
Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
Select the Advanced tab.
Under "Performance", click Settings.
Select the Advanced tab. Information about your swap file is listed under
"Virtual memory".

Terry Pinnell

Gerry said:
Terry

Leaving a computer on 24/7 is not ideal. If your programmes have any
memory leaks you only remove their cumulative affect when the computer
is restarted. I leave mine on during the day, switching off when I go to
bed.

I'll think on that. Apart from getting the impression that, on
balance, the consensus was that 'permanent' running minimises HD
wear/tear, my main motivation has been to get extensive backups done
overnight. IOW, minimum impact during the day.
The read write speeds to CD/ DVD/floppy are slower than to hard disk and
infinitely slower than to RAM memory.

Yes, of course - but not sure of the context of this point?
What is your CPU processor speed?

Athlon 1800 runs at 1533 MHz. Pretty slow by today's standards. And my
XP Home is still SP1 (following major problems 2 years ago when I
tried SP2, promptly reverted). Only reason I haven't upgraded PC is
because of the scale of the re-installation effort to get everything
running sweetly again.
I have looked in Google to see what has been said recently about Norton
Unerase. You must one of only a few still using this programme. It
clearly has been a major cause of memory problems.

Agreed, I'm a rarity! No hard evidence here of any memory problems
down to NU, just vague suspicions.
I have no personal knowledge of the programme but do you need it?
Many users today clone drives / data partitions

How would that help recover a file deleted (accidentally or by a
program crashing) a few minutes ago, and not found in Recycle Bin?
and monitor the Recycle Bin, which I assume you
are not using as you will have Norton Protected Storage.

I do use Recycle Bin. NU is additional, last resort recovery.
In Task Manager
what is the amount of virtual memory allocated to Norton Unerase?

It's not an entry in TM. It's apparently a Service.
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
Currently not started, Startup type = manual.
Don't know how to find the amount of virtual memory allocated.

How large is the Norton Protected Storage file?

I assume they are in these folders, whose current sizes I've shown:
C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT 75 MB
D:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT 168 MB
E:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT 10 MB
Why do you have 1.18 gb unallocated space on Drive 0?

A very good question - I hadn't realised that I did! Or perhaps I've
forgotten - it was maybe 4 years ago that I set that up. I don't
believe XP's Computer Mgmt > Disk Mgmt facility cannot resize an
active (OS) partition, so suppose I really *will* have to study PQ PM
again then, if I want to get that extra space into C: ;-(
I asked about Disk Utilities because it is helpful to know when drives
are partitioned how easy it might be for the other person to make
changes.

Your partitioning structure is not how I might have set up your system.
You have two hard drives and a removable drive.

You've lost me here Gerry. I have *three* hard drives, as I showed in
the screenshot. What is the 'removable drive' you mention?

OK, reading ahead, I take it that you regard partitions D:, J: and N:
as 'removable drives'? I thought they were called 'Logical drives? In
what sense are they removable?
Your pagefile for
optimal performance should be in it's own partition as the first
partition on Disk 1.

Presumably you mean Disk 0? IOW, the OS partition? But why? I have it
on Disk 2, in D:, the largest partition. It's been there for years.
Seems to make sense to keep it where there is most room, and is the
recommendation I've had from others. The most recent was from pcbutts
in this thread 2 days ago.
I am not sure what the experts would say about
placing it on a removable drive.

See above.
I am also not sure about putting programme files on a removable drive and with data files.

Why? I don't see the issue there?
Normally if
your system goes down and you need to replace the operating system you
will have to reinstall all programmes. In your set up you have the
ability to copy a backup of the operating system over the failed copy of
the operating system so this necessity may be avoided.

Yes, but have to admit it's not a very satisfactory backup. Years old
now!
What do you do if
you lose the contents of your removable drive?

Apart from panic?! Well, as per previous posts, I backup nightly, so
all my data files are available.

What do you do?

What does Partition J
contain?

As per previous post, J: is a backup partition. Most of data (not
program) files on D: get b/u nightly to it. But because I took up the
storage-hungry activity of DVD making a year or so ago, I've had to
make changes along the way. So music and movies get b/u separately.
How often are you updating Partition E?
Hardly ever! I used PQ Drive Image 2002 to make the copy, and it's a
time consuming job I rarely repeat.
System Restore should only monitor the System Partition i.e. C.
Monitoring a removable drive is not a good idea because you can find
that restore points created do not work when you need them. System
Restore becomes confusing if a drive is sometimes there and sometimes
not.

OK, thanks, I'll get rid of SR on D: then.
A 200 mb space allocation on C is too small. I generally suggest
700 mb.

Really? That sounds a heck of a lot, given how tight space is on that
drive. Anyway, another significant factor in my case is that I use
ERDNT/ERUNT nightly (and before major changes), so in effect I'm
duplicating SR. (Which has let me down on several occasions. Perhaps
because of your point above about D:, who knows? But I sure was
grateful I had ERDNT fro which to recover.) I see my ERDNT folder
(kept on J:) is currently 528 MB - so the combination is close to your
recommendation ;-)
[...]

OK, understood. Maybe just disabling that NU Service for a few days
will prove whether or not it's implicated in the slow-down. Although,
as I said, that doesn't square with its intermittent nature.

Thanks again for all your patient and thorough help, which is warmly
appreciated.

Gerry

Terry said:
I'll think on that. Apart from getting the impression that, on
balance, the consensus was that 'permanent' running minimises HD
wear/tear, my main motivation has been to get extensive backups done
overnight. IOW, minimum impact during the day.

"permanent' running minimises HD wear/tear"

Hard drives can fail within hours of installation or last for years! I
do not think this factor should be a consideration.

"my main motivation has been to get extensive backups done overnight"

Fine just restart the computer before starting work in the morning.
Yes, of course - but not sure of the context of this point?

It is difficult to be objective when using these media and making
comparisons with programmes accessing the hard drive. How old is your
DVD drive? How do the read / write speeds on your hard drives compare?
What mode do they run in?

Try running HD Tune(freeware).

Download and run it and see what it turns up.
http://www.hdtune.com/

Select the Info tabs and place the cursor on the drive under Drive
letter and then double click the two page icon ( copy to Clipboard )
and copy into a further message.

Select the Health tab and then double click the two page icon ( copy
to Clipboard ) and copy into a further message. Also do a full surface
scan with HD Tune.
Athlon 1800 runs at 1533 MHz. Pretty slow by today's standards. And my
XP Home is still SP1 (following major problems 2 years ago when I
tried SP2, promptly reverted). Only reason I haven't upgraded PC is
because of the scale of the re-installation effort to get everything
running sweetly again.

I do not see your CPU as creating performance issues.

Most users who had problems with SP2 I suspect have now installed the
update or replaced the computer. I would make another attempt at
installation using a CD and not downloading off the internet. A lot more
is known today about how to overcome any problems which can arise.
However, you would need to enlarge your C partition before embarking on
this course of action.
Agreed, I'm a rarity! No hard evidence here of any memory problems
down to NU, just vague suspicions.

I am not sure you are using it in the conventional way. However, not
knowing much about the programme I do not know the right questions to
ask.
How would that help recover a file deleted (accidentally or by a
program crashing) a few minutes ago, and not found in Recycle Bin?

How often does that happen? Do you use Shift+Delete thereby bypassing
the Recycle Bin? My problem can be accidentally dragging a file to
another location and not realosing what I have done or forgetting to
save. Norton Unerase would not help there!
I do use Recycle Bin. NU is additional, last resort recovery.

Not knowing much about the programme I cannot comment.
It's not an entry in TM. It's apparently a Service.
C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
Currently not started, Startup type = manual.

How does it work if it is not started? Your statement is inconsistent
with what you said earlier!
Don't know how to find the amount of virtual memory allocated.

I t should be disclosed in Task Manager. Perhaps you need to start
Norton Unerase?
I assume they are in these folders, whose current sizes I've shown:
C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT 75 MB
D:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT 168 MB
E:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT 10 MB

How current. What are the file dates?
A very good question - I hadn't realised that I did! Or perhaps I've
forgotten - it was maybe 4 years ago that I set that up. I don't
believe XP's Computer Mgmt

Why? What does the chkdsk tool report? Also HD Tune?
Disk Mgmt facility cannot resize an
active (OS) partition, so suppose I really *will* have to study PQ PM
again then, if I want to get that extra space into C: ;-(

An alternative would be to use a more up to date utility.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/examples.html

I use BootIt NG but Acronis is very popular.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/partitioning.html
You've lost me here Gerry. I have *three* hard drives, as I showed in
the screenshot. What is the 'removable drive' you mention?

Isn't your IomegaExt an external removable drive?
OK, reading ahead, I take it that you regard partitions D:, J: and N:
as 'removable drives'? I thought they were called 'Logical drives? In
what sense are they removable?

No F and D as partitions on a removable drive. J and N are partitions on
Disk 1 and Disk 0 respectively. This is clear from the "pretty" picture
you sent!

What is the Iomega model number?
Presumably you mean Disk 0?

No Disk 1 not Disk 0.

IOW, the OS partition? But why? I have it
on Disk 2, in D:, the largest partition. It's been there for years.
Seems to make sense to keep it where there is most room, and is the
recommendation I've had from others.

If you have a second physical drive, it is in principle better to put
the file there, because it is then less likely that the heads will have
moved away from it.

Still the leading Article although Alex Nichol sadly dies a while back:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Putting a pagefile in it's own partition helps reduce fragmentation
caused by a non-contiguous pagefile.
The most recent was from pcbutts
in this thread 2 days ago.

He thought your pagefile was in partition C not realising it was already
in D. Mixing a pagefile with large files in partition N doesn't seem to
be a smart move. In any event I think leaving it in an enlarged C
partition would be preferable to putting it in D.
See above.

Why? I don't see the issue there?

Programmes link back to the registry. When a drive is switched from one
machine to another and back again drive letters can get changed. If that
happens the operating system will not be able to find the programme
files. Mixing programme and data files mixes files that need not
fragment much with those that can fragment rapidly. Of course data
archives once defragmented do not need further attantion wheras current
data files do. If your "removable" drive is NEVER unhooked then may be
this is not an issue.
Yes, but have to admit it's not a very satisfactory backup. Years old
now!

The modern practice is to keep current clones of the operating system
not that I have bothered to do this.
Apart from panic?! Well, as per previous posts, I backup nightly, so
all my data files are available.
What do you do?

Data files was not my concern. It was the programme files I was thinking
of.
As per previous post, J: is a backup partition. Most of data (not
program) files on D: get b/u nightly to it. But because I took up the
storage-hungry activity of DVD making a year or so ago, I've had to
make changes along the way. So music and movies get b/u separately.

You're running out of space in J!
Hardly ever! I used PQ Drive Image 2002 to make the copy, and it's a
time consuming job I rarely repeat.

Do you have a conventional Windows XP CD?
OK, thanks, I'll get rid of SR on D: then.

What size are normal restore points? You can see them before you run
Analyse in Disk Defragmenter. How many restore points do you have?
Really? That sounds a heck of a lot, given how tight space is on that
drive. Anyway, another significant factor in my case is that I use
ERDNT/ERUNT nightly (and before major changes), so in effect I'm
duplicating SR. (Which has let me down on several occasions. Perhaps
because of your point above about D:, who knows? But I sure was
grateful I had ERDNT fro which to recover.) I see my ERDNT folder
(kept on J:) is currently 528 MB - so the combination is close to your
recommendation ;-)

Using Erunt puts a different perspective on System Restore.

pcbutts1 said:
It is much simpler to just to just change your swapfile.
Right-click My Computer, and then select Properties.
Select the Advanced tab.
Under "Performance", click Settings.
Select the Advanced tab. Information about your swap file is listed under
"Virtual memory".

As discussed, I already have swapfile on D. Not sure what you're
suggesting here? What 'change'?