Excel customization will not be loaded

Thomas Kellner

Has anybody an idea what can cause an Excel customization built on the basis
of MS Net framework to load or not?
I have the problem that the customization used company-wide (without
problems) is sometimes loaded and sometimes not with my PC. The PC was
exchanged, it was re-imaged and several further attempts were made to solve
the problem, including registry cleaning, several de-installations and
re-installations of the customization etc.
The reason for the instable function could not be found up to now.

Thanks for your advice.

GS

Has anybody an idea what can cause an Excel customization built on
the basis of MS Net framework to load or not?

Please explain further! Is this a .NET app that uses an automated
instance of Excel? Otherwise, how is the customization implemented:

via an Excel Addin?
via a COMAddin?
via embedded Excel file XML? (v2007+)
I have the problem that the customization used company-wide (without
problems) is sometimes loaded and sometimes not with my PC. The PC
was exchanged, it was re-imaged and several further attempts were
made to solve the problem, including registry cleaning, several
de-installations and re-installations of the customization etc.
The reason for the instable function could not be found up to now.

Thanks for your advice.

Did you try 'repairing' your Excel installation in Control Panel?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thomas Kellner

Hi Garry,

The implementation is via a setup.exe file containing the code. It is not
shown as Excel Addin oder Com Addin. I tried repairing without change of the

Regards
Thomas

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Martin Brown

Hi Garry,

The implementation is via a setup.exe file containing the code. It is
not shown as Excel Addin oder Com Addin. I tried repairing without
change of the loading behavior.

This is nothing like enough information. The likely causes are something
along the lines of the addin isn't installed where the version of XL you
are using expects to look for it or was built with a different version
and has incompatibilities that prevent loading.

Try manually checking the location of files and the paths being searched
for addins and if necessary manually install to test it.

GS

The implementation is via a setup.exe file containing the code. It is
not shown as Excel Addin oder Com Addin. I tried repairing without
change of the loading behavior.

I suspect, then, that your machine's install of Excel (or Office) got
damaged during the 're-imaging'. I had the same thing done to this
machine when I replaced the motherboard and hard drive. It works just
fine and so to all my apps (also use exe-automated instances of Excel
that are modified to the 9s)!

Have you tried 'repairing' Office via Control Panel yet?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

GS

This is nothing like enough information. The likely causes are
something along the lines of the addin isn't installed where the
version of XL you are using expects to look for it or was built with
a different version and has incompatibilities that prevent loading.

Try manually checking the location of files and the paths being
searched for addins and if necessary manually install to test it

Given that the problem doesn't occur on any other machines, I suspect
things went awry during the 're-imaging' process and Excel (or Office)
is in need of 'repair' via ControlPanel!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thomas Kellner

Yes of course. Before upgrading to Office 2013 I had Office 2010 with the
same problem. I even de-installed it several times and re-installed it as
the repair didn't solve the problem.

Thomas

"GS" wrote in message
The implementation is via a setup.exe file containing the code. It is not
shown as Excel Addin oder Com Addin. I tried repairing without change of
the loading behavior.

I suspect, then, that your machine's install of Excel (or Office) got
damaged during the 're-imaging'. I had the same thing done to this
machine when I replaced the motherboard and hard drive. It works just
fine and so to all my apps (also use exe-automated instances of Excel
that are modified to the 9s)!

Have you tried 'repairing' Office via Control Panel yet?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Martin Brown

Given that the problem doesn't occur on any other machines, I suspect
things went awry during the 're-imaging' process and Excel (or Office)
is in need of 'repair' via ControlPanel!

These sort of things can be sensitive to things that appear irrelevant
even down to the printer or graphics driver if you are out of luck. DLL
hell has largely gone away but with customisations you can never be sure
that the package doesn't include something in it that is incompatible
with some later versions (or previous versions).

I still think it is a permissions or path fault but in a corporate
environment it should be down to the IT gophers to sort it out.

Exact version numbers and patch levels of OS & XL on working systems vs
OPs system might shed some light. Otherwise try sacrificing a chicken
over the keyboard for want of anything else rational to suggest.

GS

Yes of course. Before upgrading to Office 2013 I had Office 2010 with
the same problem. I even de-installed it several times and
re-installed it as the repair didn't solve the problem.

It might also be as Martin suggests about OS version and XL version.
For example, some of my apps (VB6.exe frontloader) worked fine in
XP/Win7HP but croaked under Win7Pro. I fixed that but it happened again
running under Win8.1.

So then, as Martin suggests, what's different about your OS/XL version
combo than that of the other machines or your machine's previous
config?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

GS

It might also be as Martin suggests about OS version and XL version.
For example, some of my apps (VB6.exe frontloader) worked fine in
XP/Win7HP but croaked under Win7Pro. I fixed that but it happened
again running under Win8.1.

Note that the cause was different in both cases. IOW, it croaked under
Win8.1 for something the previous OSs tolerated. Typical, though, for
M$ to break stuff in this fashion!<g>

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thomas Kellner

Thanks a lot for your hints. At the moment I have the impression that it
might be a conflict between the customization based file and other Excel
files without this customization but also containing macros. Once one of
these other files had been loaded the one in question doesn't load the
customization whereas it does load it when no other Excel file was open
before.

"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Ahhh...! Therein lies the problem. So your EXE isn't using its own
instance of Excel for its intended task, but rather 'hijacking' the
user's instance instead. Bad design IMO!!!