Errors starting Service Pack 4

Just received SP4 for my Windows 2000 Server, currently running SP3. Upon starting the file "w2ksp4", via the Autorun.htm file, the file fails to extract, it reports "Extraction Failed; File is corrupt". I restarted the server, and this time ran the w2ksp4 file directly, the extraction of it was successful but a subsidiary file failed, "smtpsnap.dl_". Note: we run Norton Antivirus-Corporate Edition, which was disabled before we began this process.

Is the file on the CD, from Microsoft, corrupt?
Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted before installation?

A little more background, last month our Server was hit with the W32WelchiaWorm. Norton was able to quarentine the worm, but ever since, our server locks down at least two times a day. We've contacted Norton and Microsoft, each recommened that their latest patches be installed (if applicable), and to contact the other company. We were current with Norton virus definitions, and as mentioned prior, are running SP3. Other "hotfixes" from Microsoft have been installed, all that remains is this SP4.

Thank you to all, in advance for your assistance.

MJL_Lydian

Jonathan Maltz [MS-MVP]

Hi,

Start a cmd.exe prompt (Start->Run...->"cmd.exe") and type:
CD /D D:\ (where D:\ is your CD letter)
w2ksp4_en -x
And extract the file to your hard drive. After the extraction is completed,
go to where you extracted it\update and run update.exe

--
--Jonathan Maltz [Microsoft MVP - Windows Server]
http://www.imbored.biz - A Windows Server 2003 visual, step-by-step

MJL_Lydian said:
[...]

azdhood

I just had this problem with a win2k server that I recently rebuilt.
The error occurs not just for SP4 but all service packs and updates.
I've even tried SP2 and SP3.

Doing a w2ksp4_en -x results in the exact same error. It begins to
unpack and gets almost to the end and then "Extraction Failed; File is
Corrupt"

I tried installing dotnetfx.exe and I get a similar error which refers
to low memory or a full drive - no space for pagefile.

I have 512 MB ram and plenty of space for the page file. I saw one
other recommendation to update the BIOS and "relax the timing" for the
DRAM. Not sure about it since I can't test it right now as I am
working remotely.

Doug

MJL_Lydian said:
[...]

Sounds like a corrupt installation of Windows 2000