Error copying file or folder

G

Hello, this one has me quite puzzled. I have two computers, let's call them A and B, on a home network. They are both running WindowsXP - A is running XP Home, B is running XP Pro. I have some folders shared on A that I access from B. Today, I shared out an additional folder on A called 'downloads' where, strangely enough, I save files that I download off the internet (mostly installer programs to install various software). Well, I created a sub-folder of 'downloads' called 'gimp' where, again, strangely enough, I have the two zip files that are necessary to install The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org for the curious

.. I wanted to install The Gimp on computer B, so I opened up "My Network Places"->"Downloads on A"->"gimp" and tried to open the first zipfile and got the following message

"Compressed (zipped) Folders Error: Access to \\Office1\downloads\gimp\gtk+-2.2.4-20040124-setup.zip was denied

Ok, I thought, "Wierd, but maybe I can just copy the zipfiles to my local hard drive and open them.

So, I tried copy and pasting them to my local hard drive, and get the following message

"Error Copying File or Folde
Cannot copy gtk+-2.2.4-20040124-setup: Access is denied

Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

I can confidently say that my hard disk is not write protected, and it's also not full. In fact, I have almost 5G free space on my hard drive, and the files are like 3M and 6M respectively

Anyone have any experience with this?

G

Yes I have the same (or a similar) problem.

10 days ago I shared my laptop to another laptop, both running XP Home. Since then, all files that are created by myself or downloaded from another computer are unable to be accessed.

It refers to write protection and says "access denied".

When I check the properties dialog box, I find the read-only box checked and this is impossible to uncheck. when I want to apply this action to all files and subfolders is comes back with acces denied.

Also when I try the attrib command in the cmd window (DOS) it comes back with "Not resetting attributes of file......"

Very annoying becase all files that I open, are opened as read only.

I can only use Save as... and then save it under another name in for instance the root directory c:/

So basically My Documents folder of All Users and also the My Documents folders of the specific users on the computer are write protected and I'm unable to get rid of it.

Who can help?

Ask a Question