Error 101

Richard

On one pc got a downloading error (error 1904 having to
do with hashlib.dll in system32 failing to register) and
then error 101 when trying to run. Uninstalling and
reinstalling didn't help. But AS downloaded and ran fine
on my sligtly newer but similar Dell PC.

So I went on my pc and downloaded straight to the cd
burner. Then loaded onto his machine, but still get the
101 error.

Then I log in as administrator, but still get the 101.
Switch back to son's user id and guess what, MSAS is
warning and blocking spyware. Still, it won't run on
startup. When it does run, it runs forever and has yet
to finish a scan. Almost as if it is counting phantom
files as infected files. The counter is now on more
infected files than files scanned.

This stinks.

Steve Dodson [MSFT]

Richard,

Can you try the following steps and reply back if it takes care of the
problem?

Open up control panel and double-click on add/remove programs.
Select Microsoft AntiSpyware
Select "Change"
On the Microsoft AntiSpyware Maintenance Wizard, click next.
On the next screen (Microsoft AntiSpyware Maintenance Wizard) select Update
Microsoft AntiSpyware and click next.
Select Install
Let the product update.
Click Finish.

Thanks!

-steve

Steve Dodson [MSFT]
MCSE, CISSP
PSS Security

originated.

I'm seeing this same problem and have tried the fix below
with no avail.

MN

From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Subject: Error 101
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:26:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

On one pc got a downloading error (error 1904 having to
do with hashlib.dll in system32 failing to register) and
then error 101 when trying to run. Uninstalling and
reinstalling didn't help. But AS downloaded and ran fine
on my sligtly newer but similar Dell PC.

So I went on my pc and downloaded straight to the cd
burner. Then loaded onto his machine, but still get the
101 error.

Then I log in as administrator, but still get the 101.
Switch back to son's user id and guess what, MSAS is
warning and blocking spyware. Still, it won't run on
startup. When it does run, it runs forever and has yet
to finish a scan. Almost as if it is counting phantom
files as infected files. The counter is now on more
infected files than files scanned.

This stinks.

.

Bill Sanderson

MN - have you tried downloading the latest build and updating?

What Windows version?

Are you logged in as administrator?

http://www.microsoft.com/spyware

--
FAQ for Microsoft Antispyware:

From: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Richard" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:26:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

On one pc got a downloading error (error 1904 having to
do with hashlib.dll in system32 failing to register) and
then error 101 when trying to run. Uninstalling and
reinstalling didn't help. But AS downloaded and ran fine
on my sligtly newer but similar Dell PC.

So I went on my pc and downloaded straight to the cd
burner. Then loaded onto his machine, but still get the
101 error.

Then I log in as administrator, but still get the 101.
Switch back to son's user id and guess what, MSAS is
warning and blocking spyware. Still, it won't run on
startup. When it does run, it runs forever and has yet
to finish a scan. Almost as if it is counting phantom
files as infected files. The counter is now on more
infected files than files scanned.

This stinks.

.

XP Home, SP2 as Admin. I'm using the latest DL.

Thanks,

Mark

[...]

and
confers no rights.

originated.
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:26:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

On one pc got a downloading error (error 1904 having to
do with hashlib.dll in system32 failing to register) and
then error 101 when trying to run. Uninstalling and
reinstalling didn't help. But AS downloaded and ran fine
on my sligtly newer but similar Dell PC.

So I went on my pc and downloaded straight to the cd
burner. Then loaded onto his machine, but still get the
101 error.

Then I log in as administrator, but still get the 101.
Switch back to son's user id and guess what, MSAS is
warning and blocking spyware. Still, it won't run on
startup. When it does run, it runs forever and has yet
to finish a scan. Almost as if it is counting phantom
files as infected files. The counter is now on more
infected files than files scanned.

This stinks.

.

.

I had it installed under a different user and it worked
fine. Now I need to install it under the original users
ID and can't.

I've tried the un-install but the files still seem to be
under "Program Files". After the un-install claims to be
complete, I've tried removing these files as well as the
hashlib.dll and re-instll to no avail.

Mark

Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:26:05 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.private.security.spyware.install

[...]

Try restarting in safe mode, logging in as "administrator", perhaps starting
the Windows Installer service, and check out uninstalling and installing.

There are definitely significant issues with both administrator/limited user
scenarios and multi-user scenarios. These have not yet been addressed in
the builds released.
--
[...]

Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all
message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they
originated.