Windows XP Enable ICS

Reaction score
right, basically all i need to do is enable the ICS on the laptop and all is sorted, one problem though, apprently I dont have the option TO enable it, I am the admin of the laptop, its just it doesnt show up, just the firewall bit shows, and using the network setup wizard doesnt bring it up either, please help!

Reaction score
no, it doesnt say its disabled, its just...not there but it was the other day then it just dissapeard :S i would use that guide that u ave me but the ICS just is not there, its really wierd

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try this ...

To reinstall ICS, follow these steps:

1.In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
2.Click the Windows Setup tab.
3.In the Components box, double-click Communications.
4.Click to clear the Internet Connection Sharing check box, click OK, and then click OK.
5.Restart your computer when prompted.
6.Repeat steps one through four, but in step four, click to select the Internet Connection Sharing check box.
7.Restart your computer when prompted.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/265327/en-us

ICS is a pain in the, you know where, at the best of times ... suggest setting up a proper network using a hub/Router ... cheap enough. ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Cheers for that, i'll try it out now, I would just wire the xbox straight to the router (i have a 4 port NETGEAR wireless modem/router) but my parents object to the idea of haveing a 20/30ft cable running through the house
its not realy a major problem to be honest, I just want my xbox live back, but i currently lack £60 for the wireless adaptor for the xbox...

Reaction score
ok, sorry for the double post, but i dont have a "windows setup" tab, i use xp, so i cant find te componants or anything...this is annoying

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
NickHunter said:
yer ok, stop rubbing it in :p cheers
Sorry, was not my intention ... old guy here, I repeat meself. :D

:user:

Reaction score
Well yoou have to clear the internet connecting sharing box... You can do this by going on control panel...

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Similar problem so I thought I'd jump on this thread;

As with NickHunter I'm trying to use ICS to prevent trailing a 30ft ethernet cable through my house. I'm also too cheap to buy an Xbox 360 wireless network adapter. ; )

My laptop is successfully connected wirelessly to a router with internet connection.

I have an ethernet cable running between my Xbox and Laptop which appears in my network connections as a local (only) network.

First attempt:

I simply tried to bridge the two connections.

Result:

Lose internet connection.

Second Attempt:

Tried to enable ICS on the wireless connection. This message appears after a couple of seconds of thinking:

"An error occurred when Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled."

Details:

Running Vista Home Premium.

TC/IP settings automatic.

Cheers,

Dan

Google search for this error only seems to return fairly old posts which suggests it's no longer a current issue. Not sure whether to give in to microsoft and buy their xbox adapter or try to use the software that I've already paid for!

Ask a Question