Windows Vista email and internet

Reaction score
Can you please help me with a problem that seems to have happened quite a bit from what i have read elsewhere. I am on toshiba laptop windows vista and can not send emails from windows mail. I can receive them. Error number 0x800CCC0F I have also had problems connecting to the internet at around the same time this started to happen. My provider BT tells me it is a software problem I dont know? They told me to use Bt yahoo to send email but I can not get on to that either as my user name and password are incorrect, so it says, even though they gave me a new one as my old one didnt work. I was able to send a test but the next day couldnt get on it, anyway it is not convenient not having my addresses there. On our laptop my partners and grandsons accounts are working just fine. We all have different email addresses.
Just one thing I am really no good with all the technical jargon please be gentle.
If you think I need to look elsewhere for help please be so kind as to let me know.
Thanks

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi holiday and welcome to PCR. :wave:

I had similar problems, could receive but not send email but my error number was 0x800CCC67.

I solved the problem by switching from Port 25 to Port 587 in Tools > Accounts then highlight your Mail Account > Properties > Advanced Tab. Simply delete the number 25 and type in 587 and then click "Apply"

It worked for me. :thumb: And it has worked for one or two others. Give it a try - you've nothing to lose. If not sucessful you can always change back to 25.

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi

Thanks for the tip so quick. I tried it, restarted and opened up again still no joy. I have changed it back now. Any more ideas? Well you never know.

Oh yes and the steps you gave were right up my steet nice and simple!!
Thanks

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ah well,at least you tried. :)

Next step (maybe this should have been the first step) is to reset everything.

Tools> Accounts then highlight your Mail Account > Properties and then go into the General Tab and make a note of all the entries and ticked boxes and then do the same in the Servers Tab. When you've got a written record of everything in these Tabs go into them and delete everything. Then close down Properties and exit your Mail system altogether.

Then shut down the computer completely. Reboot the computer and go into your mail system and get back to Properties.(If you can't get into it go to Accounts and click the Add box and put all the details in as a new account.) Go into General Tab and type in all the details that you have recorded and then do the same for the Servers Tab. Click OK and then exit Accounts.

Then keep your fingers crossed :D and give it a go.

Best of luck.
happywave.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Holiday...
happywave.gif

Failing what Nivrip has suggested why not try a different E-mail Client ? You could try Mozilla Thunerbird. A much better client in my opinion compared to Windows Live Mail...:thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

have you ticked the box ... "'My Server Requires Authentication" ... BT's help desk is non-existence

:user:

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I so appreciate all your help and have been looking on the net for something different today instead of windows mail and internet explorer I have at the moment, so its really funny that you should mention mozilla. Someone else had mentioned firefox to me, not sure if its better that thunderbird. Did go on to the website and looked at some of the problems people were facing and it seemed like a lot of people are having problems with email as well. Im not sure if the internet shuts down when it feels like it though. Anyway I am a bit fed up with it so I am going to change my bits with the help of a friend. I am so annoyed that I didnt keep up with the times in this computing world of ours. Still at least it has made me sit up and start to take an interest. As I have found if you dont know a bit at least you are knakerd!! I do have that box ticked muckshifter, Thanks. I might try what you suggested first nivrip. Once again thank you so much for your time. May need it again one day... SOON?????

Reaction score
holiday said:
, so its really funny that you should mention mozilla. Someone else had mentioned firefox to me, not sure if its better that thunderbird.

Mozilla develope both Firefox and Thhunderbird.

Firefox is the Internet Browser and Thunder bird is the E-mail client. Install them and give them a go. In my opinion Windows mail is crap, and Internet Explorer follows close behind. Firefoox is now pretty much one of the leading browsers about.

Reaction score
Yup will defo give them a go. Quite SAD a that this 42 yr old is just so bad at computing stuff, but there you have it, we cant be good at everything. Once again guys THANK YOU so much for your BIG help it has been great. Anyway hope to talk in the future ( not too distant probably!!) for some more hints and tips.

Ask a Question