    Account: 'justwrong', Server: 'mail.wmol.com', Protocol: POP3, Server
    Response: '-ERR me logon failed', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error:
    0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

    Guest, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Have you tried telnet to the mail server to ensure that the username and
    password are correct and you can connect using that program?

    If you are using Exchange, see this KB article for some possible tips:
    The error 0x800CCC92 or error 0x800CCCD2 occurs when you try to retrieve a
    message from a POP3 server:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309216

    --
    Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=F9F51EF1-4AE3-4D23-B2D8-1171988A62D6

    Jim Pickering, Oct 5, 2006

    i only have this problem in Windows Mail on vista. i can check it fine with
    Outlook Express on XP. also, i have another account at the same mail server,
    that does not require the entire address as username, and i can check that
    one with both versions. i have not tried to telnet to the mail server, don't
    know how, but i can log into the web interface, so i know the UID/PW are
    correct.

    Guest, Oct 11, 2006
  4. If the account works correctly in Outlook Express,switch to Outlook Express
    on the machine involved, open Tools/Accounts - Mail tab and export the
    settings for the account as an IAF file to some portable media (floppy, USB
    thumbdrive, etc.), then switch to Vista, open Windows Mail and click
    Tools/Accounts and delete the existing account you are having a problem
    with, then use the Import option to import the settings from the IAF file.
    Then test it and see if it works correctly.

    For help with telnet if you'd like to try it, see the info at this link:

    First you need to add the telnet client to Vista:

    To add the Telnet client in Windows Vista, do the following.

    Click Start/Run (or WinKey+r) and type:
    start /w pkgmgr /iu:"TelnetClient"

    The telnet client will then be available from the command line.

    Second:

    You can find added Telnet instructions at:
    http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/pop3telnet.htm

    Go to start/run and type the following:
    telnet {pop3 server name} 110 - hit enter, don't type the brackets.
    user {your username} - hit enter
    pass {your password} - hit enter

    There are various commands available:

    list (will return all messages)
    retr (whatever number will retrieve that message)
    dele (+ number will delete that number message)
    --
    Jim Pickering, MVP, Windows Mail Apps

    Jim Pickering, Oct 11, 2006