echo in speakers

Reaction score
i got echo in my speakers while playing audio or video files, very annoying thing, almost unbearable. soundcard is integrated soundmax on an asus k8v-mx motherboard.
i tried reinstalling the soundcard drivers with the ones i got on the motherboard CD and also with some i downloaded from www.asus.com but that didnt help.
also tried reinstalling all my codecs, that didnt help either.
i tried also connecting headphones directly to the motherboard/pc case (i thought the problem might be with the speakers) but i got the same choppy sound again.

does anyone know how to fix this?

Reaction score
hm.. Do you own a microphone? That may be why the sound is echoing...
Im sure someone will post soon about your problem

Reaction score
Do you have them either to close to your monitor or close to an electrical circuit, ie a plug socket/s as this may make the speakers to echo.

Reaction score
1) no i dont own any microphone.. so thats not it but maybe the socket for the mic is picking up some surrounding noise, hmm just dont know how to deactive it, someone mentioned having karaoke on, but i couldnt find that option.. or anything other to deselect/deactivate in mic options

2) yes i keep my speakers on my desktop, close to the monitor, but i did so for ages and never experienced such sound problems (using same speakers since 1997) , as far as i know these KOSS model speakers have the magnetic shield around...

last changes to my pc is i did recently install (& uninstall) winxp plus! pack
that comes with some speaker enhancemt for win media player, could that be the cause?
and i also got an external harddisk that also sits on the desktop in a way near the speakers...but i really dont think thats the cause

Reaction score
possibly soundcard settings causing it. check your soundcard settings for any effects that may be on - 'ballroom' or some other crap they add on to most soundcards.

Reaction score
PotGuy said:
possibly soundcard settings causing it. check your soundcard settings for any effects that may be on - 'ballroom' or some other crap they add on to most soundcards.

Quite possibly its set on some kind of effect.
But considering you have had the speakers for 9(ish) years, then you have done well with them.
Myabe if the problem consists you could consider new speakers?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
forca1 said:
last changes to my pc is i did recently install (& uninstall) winxp plus! packthat comes with some speaker enhancemt for win media player, could that be the cause?
If you didn't have any problems before that was installled then yes it could well be the problem.

Reaction score
thx guys for so many replies, but in my original post i said...

'i tried also connecting headphones (not the deskopt speakers) directly to the motherboard/back of pc case (i thought the problem might be with the speakers) but i got the same choppy sound again.'

so its definately not the speakers or some plug socket/s.. maybe what PotGuy said some 'ballroom' option but where can i find that?

Reaction score
it depends on your software. on mine i cannot access the effects through the windows control panel stuff, only from the software that came with my soundcard. have a browse around your sound settings.

Ask a Question