VIA AC'97 Audio Controller - mic not working

Reaction score
I have installed a microphone which is plugged directly into the motherboard soundcard. The speakers make a "connecting" noise when I plug it in but I cannot hear my voice through the speakers. Have also tried using Microsoft Sound recorder but it just records static. Have checked that the sound card is using the most up to date drivers and that the microphone is not muted in Volume control. Have also checked it is enabled in the BIOS. Plugged the mic into another device and it is definitely working fine.

I am now at a loss.........Please help!!!
wallbash.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How many ports do you have in your soundcard, and also which colour do you have it plugged in to?

Reaction score
There are 3 I think - green, blue and peach. The mic plug was peach so I plugged it into the peach hole. I believe it also had MIC engraved on the metal.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The speakers make a "connecting" noise when I plug it in ...
That's a new one on me ??

USB makes a "conecting" noise, never heard a Mic do that.

Do you have any USB devices on that same backplate ??

Plugged the mic into another device and it is definitely working fine.
Another "device" or PC ??

Name, make model of Mic ??

OS ?? (XP ?)

Name, make model PC ??

oh, welcome to the forums. ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Sorry it is not USB it is the other type (phono I think it is called).

Plugged the mic into a portable stereo socket and that was fine.

I think the make is creative (based on the fact it is grey and purple) but I have no model number as there is no printing on it whatsoever.

Again, don't know the make and model of PC - not the most up-to-date model I suspect but research I have done on the sound card on the net seems to indicate that it does support microphones. Will have to investigate tonight and let you know. I do know it is running XP.

Apologies for any IT-ignorance on my part...

muckshifter

Reaction score
Apologies for any IT-ignorance on my part ...
No problem, I usually have to ask them anyway. ;)

I was intrigued about the connection noise ... is why I asked if any USB device was also plugged into the back of your PC.

If this is a Logitech device, there will be some sort of markings on it somewhere, on the base ? ... can you point me to a picture of it ?

Install This Program and it will give you more than enough information on your PC. :thumb:

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the connection noise may not be the sort of USB noise you are thinking about Mucks, but a kind of crackle/click that you get when you plug the microphone in simply through interference - is that right porterjo?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I think the connection noise may not be the sort of USB noise you are thinking about Mucks, but a kind of crackle/click that you get when you plug the microphone in simply through interference - is that right porterjo?
That was my first thoughts also ... if it is, then it is a "powered Mic" or, there is a "problem" with the socket.

I was wondering if it is the "bling blong" noise that USB makes, is there a USB device on the back plate being "moved" or a short somewhere ??

These things are easier when you have the PC in front of you. :D

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

That is right - not "bing/bong" just a crackle type noise like interference.

I did not buy the mic and it definitely does not have any logo on whatsoever - can't believe it myself...but I think I have found a picture.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6761123.htm

Not exactly the highest spec you could wish for but it should still work?

I really appreciate your help.

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... great detective work. :thumb:

Well, you won't like this answer, but I would be chucking it in the bin ... I have seen a lot of people pull their hair out over "cheap" Mic's before.

It may work with your "portable" stereo, and if you have any use for that, keep it, but I would get something a little better. ;)

Floppybootstomp may be able to "diagnose" the crackle/pop interference's and say why it does that, but my experience is ... cheap is as cheap gets.

No need to spend a small fortune on a Mic, you can get some damn good ones for a tenner, I spent £15 on my Labtec. :thumb:

There is another end of the stick, your Mic socket may be faulty, not anything much you can do about that, but I'll stick with my first answer ... get a better Mic. :D

Reaction score
I don't know about you lot but I always get that crackling noise when I plug any connector into any of my sound ports. It's surely just the normal sound of metal on metal, if you get what I mean?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think I might try borrow a better mic from someone and see if I can get that working on my friend's machine. If it does then it is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for" and we can ditch the Argos-special.

At least now I know where to come with any PC woes in the future! :bow:

Ask a Question