Windows XP easiest backup software

Reaction score
i think i may have to do an uninstall and reinstall on windows xp. what is the most straight foreward backup software to use? and what type of file does it install it into. i used a backup disc once and i could not open the files after i had copied themto a disc and ended up deleting everything and started from scratch.also can you select what to reinstall, obviously i will not want xp because thats where my problems are with i will do that seperately. thanks for any advice.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First, you don't need backup software as recognised in the normal sense, as you'd be back to square one when reinstating your operating system, that's usually only done when changing hard disks or following a system crash.

What you need is some burning software to back up any important files, e-mail addresses and maybe your e-mails etc.

Easiest way to do this is actually to get a second hard disk or external disk and bung em all on that, but if you want to burn your important stuff to CD's or DVD's, I'd suggest Nero burning software.

Or I believe Win XP has burning facilities, though I've never used it.

And why you off of Win XP? What problems you having?

The only viable domestic alternative to XP is Win 2K, but Win XP is a good stable OS for the most part, providing you keep all the updates applied.

Or there's always Linux, of course.

Reaction score
It doent help ya to backup a damaged Operating system.

Have ya checked to see if XP has good restore points.

If ya want a full backup you need to backup undamaged OS. I your system registry is damaged it will restore damaged and yull never fix it.

Sometimes clean install is the only way, and also use third party software for backups.

A thread about this somewhere in this forum.

Reaction score
re backup

the reason i have to reinstall xp is in my post dated 13 october printer problems.in the security forum i dont think there is an alternative,unless someone knows otherwise,gratefull for any help

Reaction score
Try to install windows from scratch,create another partition while installing, install all other softwares that you use,use norton ghost to create an image of your drive c, put all your data on drive d. In case of os damage, you restore it from the image, and all your data will be safe on the other drive.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wolfgang said:
Try to install windows from scratch,create another partition while installing, install all other softwares that you use,use norton ghost to create an image of your drive c, put all your data on drive d. In case of os damage, you restore it from the image, and all your data will be safe on the other drive.

And just what is the point of imaging a corrupted operating system?

Reaction score
i'm afraid i am not really that computer literate, and dont know how to do this. could i not just copy all of my programmes onto dvd's and then uninstall everything and then reinstall from scratch, reinstall xp and then my progs

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wolfgang said:
Floppyboot ,did you notice the "install from scratch" ?

No, I didn't, I must have been reading too fast.

My apologies, what you're suggesting is actually quite a good idea.

Reaction score
Another software from symantec, it's called Norton GoBack, similar to windows restore(Better than Windows restore).
and another one called Deepfreez.
Go Back is better.

Ask a Question