E-book/print to Audiobook conversion....???

sno

Am looking for a freeware program that does conversions...

Any format....(html, txt...etc)...or individual....

thank you very much for any help.....have fun.....sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

socrtwo

sno said:
Am looking for a freeware program that does conversions...

Any format....(html, txt...etc)...or individual....

thank you very much for any help.....have fun.....sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Adobe Reader has an option on the View Menu that allows you to use
whatever synthetic voice system you have installed on you system, to
read the PDF document loaded in the program. If you know how to record
this and turn it into an mp3...Or is that what your asking?

wyrwolf

all of the text read-aloud programs (especially the free ones) require that
you input from a file or at least from the clipboard

I would like one that reads from a program that generates text, as it is
doing it, more or less real-time and without having to repeatedly cut &
paste. and it just wouldn't be the same to save the text and then later
have it read (& one of the programs I have in mind doesn't allow that
anyway) It's not crucial, I just think it would be more fun.
Maybe a text-pipe program? Any ideas at all will be appreciated
TIA

sno

socrtwo said:
Adobe Reader has an option on the View Menu that allows you to use
whatever synthetic voice system you have installed on you system, to
read the PDF document loaded in the program. If you know how to record
this and turn it into an mp3...Or is that what your asking?

Sorry, probably was not clear...I wish to end up with an audio book....
starting with an ebbook....from project guttenburg....have a number
that I would like to convert.....

http://www.gutenberg.org/

Also downloads from

alt.binaries.ebook

and other binaries ebook

more ebooks are available from the ebook binaries then the
audio book binaries....

Am not looking for a reader as such...want converter that automatically
changes print book to a audio book....mp3....

Hope this is clearer....<grin>

thank you......sno

Thorsten Duhn

Hello,
I've no tips for you as far as conversion other than:
http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/categories/2 which is a list of
gutenburg books already converted.

I don't think "conversion" is the correct term. I don't think
any synthetic voice reader can cope with a text pronounced by
a professional human reader. There is a reason, why commercial
audio books are sold, but I have still not seen a software for
this task. Synthetic readers are for disabled, for some special
computer tasks, but not for literature.

Regards,
Thorsten

Craig

Thorsten said:
Hello,

...Synthetic readers are for disabled, for some special
computer tasks, but not for literature.
Thorsten;

I may not understand what you're saying. Fwiw, I supplied the above url
which points to a list of computer-generated audio books provided by
Gutenburg. If you mean the esthetic of this is not good, yea, I agree.

Or did I miss something (y.a.)?

-Craig

Thorsten Duhn

you mean the esthetic of this is not good, yea, I agree.

that's what I mean.

For me this is such a strong argument that I would recommend
not to waste time searching for such a "conversion" tool for
this purpose.

Regards,
Thorsten

sno

Thorsten said:
Hello,

I don't think "conversion" is the correct term. I don't think
any synthetic voice reader can cope with a text pronounced by
a professional human reader. There is a reason, why commercial
audio books are sold, but I have still not seen a software for
this task. Synthetic readers are for disabled, for some special
computer tasks, but not for literature

I agree, but my wife does not mind, since she is visually impaired
and gotten used to synthetic voice....she would like to listen to
books, especially away from the computer and some of those she
can not get...especially novels and such....

There are some shareware readers that can do it....but I am looking
for freeware (am cheap)...<grin>.....

have fun.....sno

sno

Craig said:
Thorsten;

I may not understand what you're saying. Fwiw, I supplied the above url
which points to a list of computer-generated audio books provided by
Gutenburg. If you mean the esthetic of this is not good, yea, I agree.

Or did I miss something (y.a.)?

Not all books...especially novels are available as audio books....

thanks for your information....have fun.....sno

Thorsten Duhn

This page has been automatically translated from German.
View Original Web Page

;)

I can't follow, what do you rely on? Yes, automated translation
are another case of where still human power is needed in many
cases, as our language is mostly very complex with ambiguous
meanings and strong dependency on a words context. Machines can
read or translate a word, a sentence, a paragraph, but it will
need some more years until they can interpret all the meanings
and feelings behind. If ever.

Or is USS Enterprise already available? Or H.A.L.?

Regards,
Thorsten

Thorsten Duhn

Hello,
I agree, but my wife does not mind, since she is visually impaired
and gotten used to synthetic voice....she would like to listen to
books, especially away from the computer and some of those she
can not get...especially novels and such....

if so, some app using Microsoft Speech API may be alright with you?
Sorry, I'm not that much into this topic, so I cannot say, which
one works best for you:

http://www.authorsoft.com/language-reader.html
Supported document formats: Adobe Acrobat (PDF), Microsoft Word
(doc, rtf), Microsoft Excel (xls), Microsoft PowerPoint (ppt),
HTML (htm, html, shtml), Text (txt).

This may require to record what is read to create audio files.
if "audiobook" usage (without computer) is required. Try for
example http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ for that.

http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/
DSpeech - Allows you to save the output as a .WAV or .MP3 file.

http://www.bercutfinland.com/WikiTalkTL/WikiTalkMain.html
Usually another intention, but features text to wav/mp3

http://www.cfs-technologies.com/home/?id=1.4
Free registration should enable .wav export

Regards,
Thorsten

sno

sno said:
Not all books...especially novels are available as audio books....

thanks for your information....have fun.....sno

Think I may have found a way to convert....

Change ebook to txt format...many programs available to do this...
some ebooks already in txt format....

Use txt to speech to read book...

Monitor output with audio out to mp3 program...

Have txt to speech program, need audio out to mp3 program...

This is wifes idea....duh.....

have fun.....sno

--
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it

This tag line is generated by:

SLTG (Silly Little Tag Generator)

Susan Bugher

sno said:
Think I may have found a way to convert....

Change ebook to txt format...many programs available to do this...
some ebooks already in txt format....

Use txt to speech to read book...

Monitor output with audio out to mp3 program...

Have txt to speech program, need audio out to mp3 program...

A couple of apps were recommended not too long ago. IIRC Dspeech in
particular is supposed to be FAST at recording. . .

Program: DSpeech
http://dimio.altervista.org/eng/

Program: TextRecorder
http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

sno

Thank you....thank you....thank you...

DSpeech is exactly what I was looking for....

Sorry I did not explain myself better in my posts...

you people are GREAT....my wife and I thank you.....have fun....sno

Craig

sno said:
Thank you....thank you....thank you...

DSpeech is exactly what I was looking for....

Sorry I did not explain myself better in my posts...

you people are GREAT....my wife and I thank you.....have fun....sno

Collective wisdom sometimes can be a good thing <g>. Sno, if it isn't
too much trouble, after you gone through the process, let us know how
effective it is.

(It'll help us the next time around)

cya,
-Craig