dvd's not recognized

B

Bob Shasteen

I have a DVD-ROM drive in my PC as well as a Sony DRU-500A DVD+-R/RW drive.
For some unknown reason in the past couple of weeks neither drive will
recognize any kind of DVD media, be it commercialDVD movie, DVD-R, DVD+r,
etc. The media is fine as it is readable in other PCs. Does anyone have any
suggestions, it's driving me nuts!!! AARRGHHHH!!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Open XP's "Help and Support" and type: DVD , and hit enter.
Next, click on "DVD Troubleshooter".

Troubleshooting DVD Playback in Windows Media Player for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306318&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I have a DVD-ROM drive in my PC as well as a Sony DRU-500A DVD+-R/RW drive.
| For some unknown reason in the past couple of weeks neither drive will
| recognize any kind of DVD media, be it commercialDVD movie, DVD-R, DVD+r,
| etc. The media is fine as it is readable in other PCs. Does anyone have any
| suggestions, it's driving me nuts!!! AARRGHHHH!!

G

Dito, it worked a few months ago but then it would not burn DVDs it will not recognize RW+R and did not find dvd-R until today. Ist the storage support said it was bad media until I told them I was using sony media. 2ndly the drive check software I downloaded from sony storage supports hangs up a lot
heres some things to try, no luck for me so far

1)Next they had me change the unit to Master on IDE channel 2 on its own lonly ribon. restart
2)Then they had me remove any buring software, and the MyDVD and record now have such a problem being remove they have special instructions from deleting files to removing items from your registry, That was 8 programs INC nero 5.5
3)They had me remove checks from use this drive to burn cd.s in advance setting of the drives properties in the device manager
4) update the firmware from their sit
5)go to the Ide ATA atap device in the manager and advance tab to change devices from Dma if avail to pi
6) They sent me alink to update ascpi driver 471.2 from adaptecs site
7) the had me reinstall just the record now program and it did try to recognize and burn a DVD-R but failed it still will not reccog nize blank DVD +RW media (please insertr blank disk
8) lastly they had me update may Motherboard bios
9) I am waiting on the XP service pack CD to come and then it still does not work I get to call back provided it happen in the 2 week period of support that I paid $20 for because technicaly my warranty ran out 2 month ago. even though I intsalled the unilt a month after I bought it and these problems stared about 3 months ago. I thought since it worked before that it was a software update issuse and not possiblly a defective unit. They tell me there is no repair for out of warranty, meaning it might be trash. If any ofd these help someone let me know or if you find a solution

Ask a Question