dvd decoder

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All,
Have a NEC ND3550A DVD+/-RW in my PC - have only used it to run Linux distro CDs.Tried to play the first 15min of Saving Pivate Ryan only to be told there is no DVD decoder. Have tried Googling it but only get American sites wanting to charge. Can anyone help please?
Thanks in advance,
peahouse05:(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Windows or Linux ... you got me confused ... again. ;)

They never have been 'free' per-say ... the strange thing is, you never got, or very rarely got, any playback software with a DVD drive ... it was usually bundled with your 'posh' graphics card. Have a look on the Cd that came with your graphics card.

You do not need a "Codec" unless you want to use WMP http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/plugins.aspx

DRMA ... you is gonna need to buy an MGM DVD player to watch MGM movies, you ar going to need a Sony player To play Sony anything ... the simple fact is, they do not want you to "play" a DVD on "your" PC for fear you is gonna 'rip-em-off' the same way they have been ripping us off for years ... I believe one country in Europe, it is illegal to play a DVD in you PC ... I read it somewhere, can't find it now. :(

OH, and just watch out ... go buy a DVD in Yankie Land, 'cos it's cheap, then find it disabled your PC and called the police.
happywave.gif

Vote with your pocket ... get a VCR.
laughingsmiley.gif

oh, and I use PowerCinema I found on my Vid card CD, it's crap, but it works. :)

user.gif

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks,
Sorry to cause confusion. This is XP on my AMD 3400, Asrock kn8.
Daughter can play DVDs on her laptop, that's what threw me. It's no problem really I just wanted to see if it would work on the PC.
Also apologies for any confusion caused on the Windows Update thread.The old 650MHz is ok now, it had XP SP1 and the downloads froze a couple of times again, but without error codes. Anyway this copy was in the PC when I was given it and will be got rid of. Have Slackware on the slave HD and will crunch with that when I sort out the sh boinc file (nearly there, keep getting the syntax wrong).
Thanks again,
peahouse05:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Sorry to cause confusion
oh, don't worry about that, was not sure if you need it for one or the other.

I sometimes forget which OS I'm on. ;)

You built the 3400 from scratch, yes? so, I'm not surprised you missed some software. The Lappie probably has all it needs. :D

Just tried Vista with a DVD ... not sure I like the colour Black ...
laughingsmiley.gif

Now, as for Bonkit, there are two cravats ...
1. the file name is important ...

sh boinc_5.2.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh

Notice that this is version 5.4.9 ... silly, but they still haven't changed that in the release notes ... so, if like me you just copy the line, then you'll get an error.

2. you must have it in it's own folder
then to make it actually work, you have to change from the boinc folder you made to the BOINC folder it makes ... that, drove me nuts. :rolleyes:

I don't know Slack, but I'll assume it has the little 'house' somewhere, if not on the desktop, it'll be in the Linux Kicker (taskbar). It is basically your Home to do what you please. Just make a folder there for Boinc.

You'll have to tell me how far you've got or where it is going wrong.

To hell with making a new thread on this. ;)

Ask a Question