** DVD / CD-ROM drive disappeared **

Kumaran

Dear experts,
I'm having Win XP Pro + SP2 in my COMPAQ laptop.

I have installed SP5 for Visual Studio 6.0, after that DVD drive had
disappeared from the windows explorer. When I checked with "Device Manager",
it says driver files are corrupt ( Error code: 39 ).

I tried following methods to fix the problems.

- I tried "System Restore", but it did not fix the problem.

- I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but again says driver files are
corrupted ( code: 39)

- I looked at the DVD drive manufacturer's website, it says there is no
special driver available and
the XP OS itself provides it. For the same reason, I could not get the
driver from COMPAQ also.

- Fortunately, I had complete XP installation files, but unfortunately when
I attempted for reinstallation,
it quits by saying that I already have a more recent version than the one
currently being installed.

How can I fix this problem.
Will reinstalling SP2 solve the problem ?
Is there any standard DVD / CD-ROM driver download available for XP Pro ?

Experts, kindly help me.

Regards
Kumaran

Kumaran said:
[...]

Bullwinkle. J. Moose

This may have been caused by a virus. Run an anti-virus program as well as a
malware removal program such as spybot search and destroy and ad-aware all
are free.

Run them first then reinstall using Kelly's help. He's the best.

Good luck.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

<g> Checked under the hood lately to make sure? <g>

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Only for those with ambiguous male/female names.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Thank you, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers! I had the same problem with my cd drive
being "missing" and the patch seems to have worked. I tried troubleshooting
through dell and they told me I had a virus, then I even called Norton (my
software for virus protection) to try and help me--they said it wasn't a
virus--which led me to the microsoft website. You're a lifesaver. Thanks!

~Kacie

I want to clarify whether I'm having the same or a diffeenty problem.

When I first boot up, everything is fine, the DVD - CD and CD-RW drives are
detected and work just fine. But, if I allow the PC to sit idle for wny
period of time and then come back, the drives are gone!

Powering al the way down and restarting fixes the problem for awhile.

Did you find a solution tro this I have similar problem both my CD & DVD have
disapeared.

I re-installed XP and they appear in the new one. Whats the problem ?
William.

Shenan Stanley

William said:
Did you find a solution to this I have similar problem both my CD & DVD
have
disappeared.

I re-installed XP and they appear in the new one. What's the problem ?

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

Jason Tsang

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

S. Taylor

On #2
You or someone familar with doing so, should check the cd-rom and dvd-rom
drives
to make sure both are installed correctly (physically).

Both drives should be connected to the same EIDE cable and that cable
should connect to the secondary ide channel on the motherboard
(it may be labeled as IDE1 on the motherboard)
The EIDE cable should have 3 connectors, 2 of which are close together,
while the 3rd
is not close to the other 2.
The isolated connector plugs into the motherboard.
The DVD should be plugged into the connector at the end of the cable
and it's configuration pins (on the back of it next to the ide connector)
should be set as Master
The CD-ROM should be plugged into the middle connector and it's
configuration pins (on the back of it next to the ide connector) should be
set as Slave.

Make sure the IDE connectors are firmly seated and that they are not plugged
in backwards.
The IDE cable's connector's connectors are rectangular and should have an
outward notch
that prevents them from being plugged in backwards.
if it doesn't , you should replace them.

Make sure the power connectors are firmly seated into the drives.

Enter bios and make sure all ide devices are correctly detected.
The Primary Master setting should list your hdd
The Secondary Master setting should list your 2nd hdd, if you have one, or
be blank if you don't
The Secondary Master setting should list the DVD drive
The Secondary Slave setting should list the CD drive.

If, after checking the above out, the CD drive door still won't open, then
the drive is
probably failing and nothing can be done for it (other then a proper
burial).

"Just a little Peach Blossom" <Just a little Peach

Gerry Cornell

Answering messages six weeks after they were posted is rather pointless
as the other person is unlikely to read them!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wesley Vogel

:)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Gerry Cornell said:
Answering messages six weeks after they were posted is rather pointless
as the other person is unlikely to read them!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
FCA