dumprep.exe eating memory

Reaction score
I experienced a blue screen crash and my machine took forever to reboot (on a number of occassions) and it was almost impossible to open any programmes.

Process viewer revealed dumprep.exe (a reporting programme to microsoft about memory dumps apparently) was using consistently using over 90% of my cpu, but windows would not let me close down the process.

I've since been into msconfig and prevented it from starting but know this is not a good long term soloution.

Any ideas on what i should do?

Thanks in advance.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You can remove it from the run key under HKLM. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to sysinternals.com and download the free autoruns utility. After running it, you will see the dumprep.exe and be able to disable it.

Now my question is why is your system 'crashing' ... can you supply some information on what you're running?

Reaction score
i have this HKLM Dumpreg thing too but my computers not going slow or crashing....

what does it do?

muckshifter

Reaction score
It sends a report back to MS ... if they have an answer/fix they'll tell you.

an error accured, do you wish to send MS a report YES/NO
I always send a report in. ;)

ScousePete's problem is, it's doing its job, but, not correctly. We need to know what is causing Pete's problem before allowing dumprep.exe back to do its job.

Reaction score
try doing all the thing like disk clean up - disk defrag - virus scan - spyware scan and also check ur register for errors - u could also try re-installin windows(i know, last thing u want to do) !

that might help- but we need more info on ur problem - computer spec - how much free space in your hard dirve and so on ...with more info i'm sure some1 here will beable to help

Reaction score
Thanx for the assistance / suggestions.

After searching a bit more on the net came across a "fix" to uncheck posting event system logs (in advanced settings) which seems to have worked fine.

My guess for the reason for the crash (and the reason I posted the other day for advice on upgrading mb and cpu) is I was pushin' Doom 3 as much as I could on my existin' cpu (an AMD 1800 overclocked from 133 to 139) but whenever I ended a session there was a windows warning about low virtual memory and paging files etc. (all beyond me).

Anyway, guess I pushed it once too much and caused a crash from which I had problems recoverin'.

10 x 10 minute boots are no fun at 2 and 3 in the mornin, but seem to have cracked it for now and my new Athlon3000 and A7N8X E - Deluxe and 512 3200 RAM (thanx 4 the advice) is on it's way to me as I type!!!

Fingers crossed!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
ScousePete said:
10 x 10 minute boots are no fun at 2 and 3 in the mornin, but seem to have cracked it for now and my new Athlon3000 and A7N8X E - Deluxe and 512 3200 RAM (thanx 4 the advice) is on it's way to me as I type!!!

Fingers crossed!!
Good to see you got it sorted.

Let us know how you get on when you've put your new system together :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
... there was a windows warning about low virtual memory and paging files etc. (all beyond me).
Simply add more memory. ;)

Don't 'overclock' the new system, will you?

:D

Ask a Question