Dual boot VirusScan operation - how?

Roy Hammond

My VirusScan (v 6.02.3000.1 DAT renewed on 27Sep04 - expiring 17Sep05), is
running under Win98 on the C: harddrive.
I've just installed another harddrive as D: now with WinXP as the OS - the
computer is now dual booted.
Intention is to gradually transfer programs onto D: as they become outdated
and suitable for running under XP.
In the meantime how can I get VirusScan to update and to cover both the
boots,
folders and files on the two drives, regardless of which drive is used to go
online?

-Roy-
(Surrey, England)

David H. Lipman

McAfee VirusScan would have to run under both WinXP and Win98. Retail v6.xx is getting old
and I'm not sure how well it will work on WinXP. You may want to get a FREE AV software
package listed below during the transition period. I suggest eTrust.

AVAST - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html - FREE
AVG - http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php - FREE
CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
{ Free offer expires 2/1/05 }

Then you can use McAfee VirusScan to perform "On Demand" scans of the "D:" drive and eTrust
will protect with "On Access" scans until you have just one OS running with a AV package of
your choice. I should state for VirusScan v6.xx on Win98 to scan the "D:" drive, the "D:"
drive needs to be FAT32. If the"D:" drive is NTFS then that is not an option using the GUI.
Albeit, you could be in WinXP using NTFS for "D:" and perform an On Demand scan using the
McAfee Command Line Scanner from the "C:" drive.

Dave

| My VirusScan (v 6.02.3000.1 DAT renewed on 27Sep04 - expiring 17Sep05), is
| running under Win98 on the C: harddrive.
| I've just installed another harddrive as D: now with WinXP as the OS - the
| computer is now dual booted.
| Intention is to gradually transfer programs onto D: as they become outdated
| and suitable for running under XP.
| In the meantime how can I get VirusScan to update and to cover both the
| boots,
| folders and files on the two drives, regardless of which drive is used to go
| online?
|
| -Roy-
| (Surrey, England)

Vanguardx

Roy Hammond said:
My VirusScan (v 6.02.3000.1 DAT renewed on 27Sep04 - expiring
17Sep05), is running under Win98 on the C: harddrive.
I've just installed another harddrive as D: now with WinXP as the OS
- the computer is now dual booted.
Intention is to gradually transfer programs onto D: as they become
outdated and suitable for running under XP.
In the meantime how can I get VirusScan to update and to cover both
the boots,
folders and files on the two drives, regardless of which drive is
used to go online?

-Roy-
(Surrey, England)

Since you are transferring files while booted under Windows 98 to your
D: drive then presumably the D: drive is a FAT32 partition. VirusScan
running under Windows 98 can read the files on a FAT32 partition. So
how do you know that VirusScan is not scanning drive D:? As with ALL
your programs, you'll have to check that they run under Windows XP if
that is your targeted and eventual OS. Once you have everything moved
over to D:, and when you eventually decide to go with Windows XP, then
convert the FAT32 partition to NTFS (after which that partition will be
unusable when booted under any DOS-based version of Windows, unless you
buy NTFSDOS Pro).

Roy Hammond

Correct Vanguardx - my D: drive is FAT32.
My problem is, how do I invoke VirusScan when booting into WinXP on D:?
It automatically runs when I boot into Win98 on C:. I'd like the same to
happen when I boot into WinXP.

To answer the other reply from David - my copy of VirusScan retail v 6.xx
works with XP. I temporarily loaded it from the original McAfee CDROM into
WinXP just for that purpose.
I could have separate installations of VirusScan on each drive, but apart
from any possible conflicts, I would have to keep both installations
updated - an unnecessary chore I'm hoping!(rebooting to go online for the
other drive).

-Roy-
(Surrey, England)

David H. Lipman

It may be possible to edit the Registry of one installation to point to the ENGINE and DAT
directory of the other.

For example, the following is the exported information for VirusScan v7.1E

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\TVD\Shared Components\VirusScan
Engine\4.0.xx]
"DAT"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Network Associates\\Engine\\"
"szInstallDir"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Network Associates\\Engine\\"

Dave