Dual Boot - Install XP after Vista?

S

Spuddy

Hello:

I just got a new laptop that has Vista Home Basic preinstalled on it.
I found that many of my apps are not working properly on Vista. So,
I'd like to install XP Pro and have it be my default O/S. Will by
doing so wipe out my Vista?

Thanks for any help,
Spuddy

R

Robert Martin

Try installing your old apps into

C:\Programs (NEW FOLDER)

This will fix a lot of compatibility problems.

I have a bunch of older programs that will only work this way.

S

System Savy

I had problem with this dual boot after buying this Vista machine... I installed Xp to run some application... then my Vista was lost and I didn't find the necessary drivers for XP in my new machine .... so I ve to go back to VISTA re installation, but I had my XP in F drive ... which after Vista resinstallation I could not boot by default or choosing the option at boot ... so I had to copy the Boot folder and the files ntldr, NTDETECT.COM, boot.ini, bootmgr to the root derectory of XP ... then I downloaded the VISTABOOT pro and installed ... then running that I clicked on System Boot Loader tab there and and chose Windows Vista Boot Loader for all drives to be installed .... and then I went to Manage OS Entries Tab and changed the name for Legacy Windows Sytem to Windows XP , Changed the boot drive to the correct one(for me it was F drive, dpends where you earlier installed XP) and Applied the updates ... then when I restrated the system I found both the booting option let me have dual boot ... Wow ... after a lot it feels really good ... Thanks Folks ....

EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ask a Question