Drivers needed

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a couple of computers to repair/rebuild for a friend and I can't find the drivers for one of the motherboards.

I need the LAN and Audio drivers for a Gigabyte GA-7A Rev 2x but as you can see from the link they only supply the chipset and USB2 drivers.

Which is really a bit rubbish of Gigabyte.

So, anybody know where I can find these drivers? I'm not having much luck.
The onboard sound is ALC97 and I would have assumed there is a central site for whoever makes those sound chips that supply drivers but I'm blowed if I can find it :confused:

The other machine I have to repair/rebuild is a Packard Bell iPower 7650 and I've managed to get all the drivers for that from PB's site :thumb:

I've never dealt with a Packard Bell before and it has a Custom splash screen on POST giving options - will this present me with any problems loading XP and the PB drivers? It also has a pair of 7600GT's in sli mode which as I can see a display I'm assuming I don't have to load anything other than the standard relevant Nvidia drivers - correct?

If anybody can help with anything I'd be grateful.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've used the VIA 4in1 chipset drivers, but do they not contain the LAN drivers? Not sure, but it might be worth checking.

You should be able to get the audio drivers from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

As for the SLI nvidias, the normal drivers are fine, but you might need some extra config in the driver settings to make sure SLI is enabled :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I'll check out the Realtek site, I'd forgotten the name of the ALC97 software suppliers :blush:

I've installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers - no LAN driver supplied with them :(

Reaction score
Uploading Nvidia ALC97 driver now for you mate.

20mb so give me a few mins to pass you link for rapidshare

*edit

removed for it was working
sorry dude

you sorted?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks TD but I open your link and click on just about everything that looks clickable and... nowt :(

I have now downloaded the standard Realtek driver which covers all their chips for Win98 to Win XP but have yet to try it as I'm currently working on the Packard Bell machine.

It is 17.3 Mb and took a whole hour to download from Realtek even on FTP.

On the Packard Bell Machine:

It has two 200Gb disks, the main one had an 180Mb Recovery partition and a main partition. I have installed XP and in the process merged the two partitions thus removing the machine's dependency on Packard Bell.

However, all the drivers are Packard Bell customised, including the video driver, and they are all working very well indeed, even including auto setup of sli function :thumb:

It's all new to me of course but maybe this 'setup for dummies' isn't such a bad thing sometimes, lol ;)

Currently formatting 2nd 200Gb HDD on Packard Bell machine, will try Realtek driver on Gigabyte machine later on.

Incidentally, the girl who has given me these machines to sort out lost her husband almost two years ago. The Gigabyte machine was his old one he handed down to her and the Packard Bell machine was his new one he'd bought just a few months before he died.

She's now bringing up their 4 year old daughter by herself.

Strange old world innit?

Reaction score
Yeah sorry mate. For some reason the link would not allow DL

Most annoying grrrrr

Maybe the powers that be blocked it for wotever reason

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update: Just attempted to load driver d/l via FTP and it was corrupted.

So d/l again from Realtek site via non-FTP link and this time the 17.8Mb took the comparitively briefer time of 20 minutes to get to me.

And this one installed ok and I now have sound :thumb:

That just leaves the LAN driver to find. I'm wondering whether it's worth e-mailing Gigabyte and asking them for it?

Or perhaps it may be worth me looking on Via's site? Will have to identify chipset though I suppose.

Pretty poor show from Gigabyte really, Asus supply drivers for their motherboards going way back beyond 2003 (which is when this board dates from) why can't Gigabyte? (EDIT: See post below)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh poo.

Oh bugger.

Goddamn.

:blush: :blush: :blush:

There is no onboard LAN....

Silly me.

Gigabyte, I take back that criticism... :blush:

Guess we gotta get a NIC card then :D

Ask a Question