Computer wont boot unless i press escape?

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a packard bell imedia S3210 and a few months back i got some driver detective like software and it messed my drivers up, mainly my ATA controller and graphics drivers anyway i sorted that out and now when i turn my computer on it will just sit on the Packard Bell screen until i press escape then after that it works fine, it didnt used to before any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks alot

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
There HAS to be something else on the screen. Perhaps white letters in one of the corners?

Driver detective is crap software and would only affect Windows software and function. If the machine does not leave the PB screen, chances are that there is an issue in the BIOS or with some other piece of hardware causing the system to stop. Usually, with the symptoms that you state, this is a keyboard not plugged in message.

Since I do not have any recent experience with PB units (only the really.....really old ones), I recommend trying one of the function buttons. Such as F1, F2 or perhaps F10. However, any other one could work depending on how the BIOS is programmed. Sometimes DEL is necessary to enter the BIOS.

The goal here is to remove the PB splash screen and see what the stop message is. If you get into the BIOS, there should be an option to disable it and show the POST screen as the machine boots. My best guess is that F1 should allow you to see the message. Once you know what the stop is for, you can figure out how to resolve it. It may be something as simple as the CMOS battery failing, as this will cause issues similar to this.

TL;DR: You have to find a way to see what is behind the PB splash screen to figure out what the issue is.

edit: Unplug any USB devices that you have plugged in (aside from keyboard and mouse) to see if one of them is causing an issue with booting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey

I did what you said and it turned out it was my webcam that was causing it not to boot properly so thank you :thumb:

Ask a Question