Driver problem

G

I am a relative novice hence apologies for the non-techy, long description of my problem and my fumbled approach so far

This started about 45 days back (you can say I am a non-techy because I had a hope that over time the problem will go away!). I am on WinXP home. An HP home machine. All was working fine. May be some day in early Jan I mechanically updated my XP from MS web-site, I am guessing, I must have also updated my nVidia MX/MX400 driver (a post-facto rationalisation)

All of a sudden I started having XP crashing on me (never happened in the previous 18 months). The Windows error message told me everytime it crashed that it was an nVidia driver problem and suggested I look for the update. There were no updates over and above what I had either at the MS web site or Nvidia web-site

When problems became more frequent, I went and rolled-back (using control panels) the driver to a previous version (wo Oct-03 and Dec-03 updates). The crash problems remained. I went to the nVidia site and re-installed the latest update. The problems remained. I rolled back again. The problems remained although crashes were slightly different. I tried to deinstall the driver. XP said "No" - the driver, I did not know, was required to start up.

So, let me describe the crashes. The crash pattern is random. There are times it crashes after screen saver is on for hours. At times it crashes at the start-up. At times, start-up notifies me of driver problem reporting to MS. Etc et

After the final roll-back, I got a new message saying c0000415 - Hard Error on the boot. So, last night I went and reinstalled the original nVidia (HP) driver residing on the c:drive. This morning, the machine has refused to even start properly - the screen is all messy with the mouse pointer stagnant

So, where do I go? Please, please do not suggest a re-load. I have Norton SystemWorks and Go Back as well. Will that work

Thank

Niles

P

Pat Garard

G'Day Jasanin,

1. When you update nVIDIA drivers do you FIRST
un-install the previous drivers using 'Control Panel>
Add/Remove Software'? If NOT. please DO!!

2. Do you ALSO disable anti-Virus Software? if not
please DO!!

3. Do you, BEFORE installing major Driver changes,
create a 'restore point'? If not please DO!!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard
Australia

Ask a Question