Dr Watson Problem

Reaction score
I did some searching and found this forum. I am having the following problem.

After updating to SP2 my computer started hanging when going to my computer, launching Iexplorer, or exploring any folders. When the computer freezes, I get the message: Dr watson postmortem debugger has encountered an error and must shut down. It then freezes the computer completely. I can then press alt-ctrl-del and can end task drwatson and get control of my computer again. If I try to launch Iexplorer or explore any file it starts the process all over again. If I restart the computer in safe mode, I can browse, launch Iexplorer, etc. I tried doing a selective startup under MSCONFIG and still hangs. I tried to re-install win xp pro sp2 and still have the errors. Any ideas on how to fix this short of starting all over?

I appreciate the help!!!

Casey

Reaction score
After a bit of investigating i've there's some mixed feeing out there about this.

It could be a bug in the DIVX codec (have you recently installed?)

or

It could be the "Dr Watson" virus.

In the first instance to fix would be to uninstall DIVX delete all related files and registry entries.

and in the second run a virus scan.

Ask a Question