Double E-mail???

Bob Newman

Outlook 2003

Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting 2 copies
of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened before) about
25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice in my inbox. Any
ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my internet provider as when I
send/receive from their web based e-mail-this never happens).

Bob

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

If you are using an active mail scanning AV, turn off the mail scanning
portion and just use the auto-protect. It is enough and the mail scanning
is just a sales tactic.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| Outlook 2003
|
| Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting 2
| copies of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened
| before) about 25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice
| in my inbox. Any ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my
| internet provider as when I send/receive from their web based
| e-mail-this never happens).
|
| Bob

Bob Newman

I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running Norton
Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.

Bob

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

disable it.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running Norton
| Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.
|
| Bob
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| || If you are using an active mail scanning AV, turn off the mail
|| scanning portion and just use the auto-protect. It is enough and
|| the mail scanning is just a sales tactic.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:
||| Outlook 2003
||| Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting
||| 2 copies of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened
||| before) about 25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice
||| in my inbox. Any ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my
||| internet provider as when I send/receive from their web based
||| e-mail-this never happens).
||| Bob

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

If your AV has realtime protection, each time you open an email it is
scanned. AV companies use the fear factor to market their AV mail scanning
when it is totally superfluous. When you open mail or attachments and have
realtime protection enabled, the mail/attachment is automatically scanned
and quarantined if infected.

Yes, I am saying to disable it, as long as you have realtime protection
enabled, which will take care of any mail items, attachments, or sent items.
One more marketing ploy to scare the already paranoid population to purchase
their "enhanced" security suite, invariably costing much more than the basic
program, which provides the same level of security without the additional
problems that cause support calls, posts to news groups, and make my hair go
gray a lot sooner.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| Are you saying I don't need my e-mails scanned for viruses?
|
| Bob
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| ||
|| disable it.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:
||| I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running
||| Norton Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.
||| Bob
||| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"

Steve Frye

Hi, Bob. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but yes, turning off the
scanning of incoming and outgoing emails is okay. The extra scanning feature
is just a terribly time consuming redundant safety feature used mainly for
soothing the nerves of people who don't know much about how these things
work. And as Millie pointed out, it helps sales.
Even Norton says it's okay to turn off.

Here's what Norton has to say. From
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...nDocument&src=tr&Highlight=0,email,protection

Disabling email protection does not leave you vulnerable to viruses and
malicious software in email. It is a separate layer of protection in
addition to Auto-Protect. Auto-Protect scans any incoming files, including
email, as they are saved to your hard drive. As long as you keep your virus
definitions up to date with LiveUpdate, and keep Auto-Protect enabled and
set to scan files as they are created or downloaded, your system is fully
protected.

Steve

Bob Newman said:
Are you saying I don't need my e-mails scanned for viruses?

Bob

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message news:##[email protected]...
disable it.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running Norton
| Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.
|
| Bob
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| || If you are using an active mail scanning AV, turn off the mail
|| scanning portion and just use the auto-protect. It is enough and
|| the mail scanning is just a sales tactic.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:
||| Outlook 2003
||| Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting
||| 2 copies of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened
||| before) about 25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice
||| in my inbox. Any ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my
||| internet provider as when I send/receive from their web based
||| e-mail-this never happens).
||| Bob

Bob Newman

Milly,

Thanks for your help. I'll do as you suggest but in the Norton Antivirus
program I see no reference to "real-time protection" either in the setup or
the help file. Do you know if is enabled automatically?

Thanks again.. Bob

Milly Staples said:
If your AV has realtime protection, each time you open an email it is
scanned. AV companies use the fear factor to market their AV mail scanning
when it is totally superfluous. When you open mail or attachments and have
realtime protection enabled, the mail/attachment is automatically scanned
and quarantined if infected.

Yes, I am saying to disable it, as long as you have realtime protection
enabled, which will take care of any mail items, attachments, or sent items.
One more marketing ploy to scare the already paranoid population to purchase
their "enhanced" security suite, invariably costing much more than the basic
program, which provides the same level of security without the additional
problems that cause support calls, posts to news groups, and make my hair go
gray a lot sooner.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| Are you saying I don't need my e-mails scanned for viruses?
|
| Bob
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| ||
|| disable it.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:
||| I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running
||| Norton Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.
||| Bob
||| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"

Bob Newman

Thanks for your help. I'll do as you suggest but in the Norton Antivirus
program I see no reference to "real-time protection" either in the setup or
the help file. Do you know if is enabled automatically?

PS I tried the link you supplied by got the following error message (both a
straight click & manually combining the 2 lines of the address)::
An error has occurred in the Symantec Knowledge Base.
You may have:
accessed a document which is no longer available
attempted to open an invalid document
there could be a temporary problem.

Bob

Bob Newman said:
Are you saying I don't need my e-mails scanned for viruses?

Bob

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message news:##[email protected]...
disable it.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running Norton
| Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.
|
| Bob
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| || If you are using an active mail scanning AV, turn off the mail
|| scanning portion and just use the auto-protect. It is enough and
|| the mail scanning is just a sales tactic.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:
||| Outlook 2003
||| Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting
||| 2 copies of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened
||| before) about 25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice
||| in my inbox. Any ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my
||| internet provider as when I send/receive from their web based
||| e-mail-this never happens).
||| Bob

Steve Frye

Yes, I got that message, too. I saved the link about a year ago and haven't
used it since. Apparently Norton has moved or modified that page. I did a
quick search to see if I could find it again, but could not. Sorry. Maybe
they've had a change of heart about displaying that information. Anyway,
that's what they published about a year ago.

Bob Newman said:
Are you saying I don't need my e-mails scanned for viruses?

Bob

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message
disable it.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to

After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:

| I am not sure what you mean by "mail scanning" but I am running Norton
| Antivirus with the standard email protection configuration.
|
| Bob
|
| "Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
| || If you are using an active mail scanning AV, turn off the mail
|| scanning portion and just use the auto-protect. It is enough and
|| the mail scanning is just a sales tactic.
|| --
|| Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
|| Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to
|| the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my
|| personal account will be deleted without reading.
|| After furious head scratching, Bob Newman asked:
||| Outlook 2003
||| Occasionally I have experienced people telling me they were getting
||| 2 copies of e-mails that I have sent them. Now (this never happened
||| before) about 25% of the time incoming e-mails are showing up twice
||| in my inbox. Any ideas what may be causing this? (It is not my
||| internet provider as when I send/receive from their web based
||| e-mail-this never happens).
||| Bob

Brian Tillman

Bob Newman said:
Thanks for your help. I'll do as you suggest but in the Norton
Antivirus program I see no reference to "real-time protection" either
in the setup or the help file. Do you know if is enabled
automatically?

Does it mention "on-access scanning"? Do you have a little shield symbol or
something similar in the Notification Area of your System tray?

Bob Newman

"Do you have a little shield symbol or something similar in the Notification
Area of your System tray?"
If I remember right the little shield was MacAfee, Norton is giving me a
little computer icon with a red cross on it. In Norton's Main Setup window
both "Auto-Protect" and "Email Scanning" are turned on. The descriptions
are as follows. Auto-Protect = "Provides continuous protection from viruses
and other malicious threats. Email Scanning = Detects viruses in your email
and eliminates the risk of forwarding viruses to others. I see no reference
to real-time protection.

Bob

Bob Newman

No mention. Are we sure this is the problem. I'd gladly get another
program if I knew that would do the trick. I've never seen a company harder
to deal with than Symantec.

Bob

Brian Tillman

Bob Newman said:
The descriptions are as follows. Auto-Protect = "Provides continuous
protection from viruses and other malicious threats. Email Scanning
= Detects viruses in your email and eliminates the risk of forwarding
viruses to others. I see no reference to real-time protection.

"continuous protection" means real-time.

Brian Tillman

Bob Newman said:
No mention. Are we sure this is the problem. I'd gladly get another
program if I knew that would do the trick. I've never seen a company
harder to deal with than Symantec.

The Auto-Protect feature is your real-time scanner. Since it's enabled,
you're protected even without the email scanner.

Bob Newman

Okay. I have Auto-Protect and Script Blocking turned on and E-mail Scanning
turned off. Is this correct? If so I shouldn't be double sending e-mails
anymore? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bob

Brian Tillman

Bob Newman said:
Okay. I have Auto-Protect and Script Blocking turned on and E-mail
Scanning turned off. Is this correct?

Should be.
If so I shouldn't be double sending e-mails anymore?
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, there's not guarantee that this will fix your problem. It's just that
email scanning is known to cause problems like you described. We're trying
to eliminate the scanning as the cause.