DOS to XP file transfer

Reaction score
Hi, I want to transfer files from DOS machine to XP machine using Ethernet card. I need step by step explanation how to install what I need to DOS machine and to XP machine. Miro

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Not quite sure of your setup when you say Ethernet Card.

Are both machines connected to a network via an ethernet socket in each machine? Does the XP machine see the DOS machine?

If so it's simply a matter of using copy and paste over the network.

But if one machine doesn't have network capability then it will be a little more complex.

If the DOS machine has an optical drive you could create a Linux live distro disc on the XP machine, boot with it on the DOS machine then transfer the DOS files to an external CD drive or memory stick and then transfer from external device to XP machine.

Need more details on both machines and their network status.

Reaction score
Hi, floppybootstomp, Thanks for the reply Let me explain in details: I don't want to use CD or floppy. I have one Ethernet PCI card insltalled in DOS machine and one additional Ethernet card installed in XP machine. Basically, I have problem which software (and how) to install in DOS machine (card driver, protocol etc.) so DOS machine can comunicate through UTP cable with XP machine Miro

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sounds as if you need a 'mirror' ethernet cable, one with switched connections, usually coloured yellow.

Just connect the two machines with the cable to each ethernet port, run the XP network setup wizard and you should have the two machines networked enabling file transfer.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you will need a x-over ethernet cable or use a 'switch/hub' if not ... and you are right about the DOS 'software' needed. Ethernet cards usually come with a packet driver. If you didn't get one, (a floppy disk) try contacting the card manufacturer happy hunting on that.

Here is an example of what you will need to do ... http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/C1A843A4F8DB753D86256C1C005ADCF0

:user:

Reaction score
Hi, muckshifter, Thanks for the reply. This is very good example. But I'll be glad if you know a link to another example, which will be for my type of ethernet card: DE-528 Regards, Miro

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Ask a Question