Does anyone have BT Total BB please?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
As the crow flies, we are 1.57 km from the exchange, according to dslzone.uk, and they too agree on the 4.5 mbps speed. I have to say that our internal telephone wiring is a bit "Heath Robionson" though, with rather a lot of extension cables - probably slowing things down. We also have the original old BT box where the line enters the house!! :eek: (That is thirty-odd years old.) But modern extension sockets lead off that :rolleyes: Methinks a bit of an up-grade might be called for.

Our Exchange was one of the first to be "Maxed" when BT started to roll out the improved lines, so I think it's us, rather then them who need to carry out some improvements :blush: :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
V_R said:
TC said earlier that it sould be about 4.5mb down.

If you want to check then here and here are good places to look.

Line length and quality are the most important things, the substations dont really make a difference. If you are a long way from the exchange or you have some aluminium (from long ago) along the line somewhere, then your speeds will be severally less.

AB, you cant even get 2mb? Do you live in the middle of nowhere?

3.5 miles and 3 sub station box thingys from Kendal down a dead end small valley . World what world , noise what traffic noise , people what people . Now you know why I'm crazy .

laughingsmiley.gif
:p
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
As the crow flies, we are 1.57 km from the exchange, according to dslzone.uk, and they too agree on the 4.5 mbps speed. I have to say that our internal telephone wiring is a bit "Heath Robionson" though, with rather a lot of extension cables - probably slowing things down. We also have the original old BT box where the line enters the house!! :eek: (That is thirty-odd years old.) But modern extension sockets lead off that :rolleyes: Methinks a bit of an up-grade might be called for.

Our Exchange was one of the first to be "Maxed" when BT started to roll out the improved lines, so I think it's us, rather then them who need to carry out some improvements :blush: :D
Yeah you may need to tidy it up a little, if possible run the router from the main socket. Have a look at this, see if it helps. Remember you only need 2 and 5 connected, you can remove all others.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Also you could buy a pre-filtered face plate which may help a little.

http://www.adslnation.com/products/index.php

Which socket type do you have? Is it one thats half and half or the older ones thats one complete front. Hope that makes sense. :)

I have the XF-1e micro filters, which people rave about on all the BB forums.

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you V_R, yes, those diagrams (that you provided links to) are very helpful and I have printed them off. :thumb:

When you ask about the master socket... you're not going to believe this, but it is one of the really old style which is hard-wired; i.e., it is brown, with the main telephone wire entering at one side, and a cable (leading to a modern extension socket) coming out at the other side. It is solid, with no openings, just a screw in the centre of it. Pretty ancient. Apparently, one is not permitted to fiddle with that, so we shall need to call in a BT engineer to upgrade it.

It's just one of those things which has been out of sight and out of mind etc. I'm sure it will make a lot of different to get it sorted though :nod: :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... it is brown, with the main telephone wire entering at one side, and a cable (leading to a modern extension socket) coming out at the other side.
Well, actually, most houses did have one of these boxes, people just don't usually know where they where, or what they were for ... and, as you say, it is BT's responsibility.

You will be pleased to know, however, that if there is any fault leading up to your first "white" box, BT should not charge you anything that may need fixing or repairing up to that point.

I've seen many of them in Cardiff houses. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh that's useful to know Mucks, thank you :thumb: :D We were supposed to have had it changed to a white box many years ago, but it was one of those things that was put off at the time, and then forgotten about :p We have just started pulling things about ready for a bit of decorating though, and so it has come into view again :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just to give an update to you kind folk who have been so helpful - I have just submitted an order form for ADSL, to "ADSL24" (see V_R's post #13 above) and currently await their email which will give further instructions for payment, etc. All being well, activation date will be 30th ... so if I disappear completely around then, you'll know that I have probably managed to cut myself off completely from the rest of the Universe :p

I have ordered a wired NetgearDG834 ADSL2+ router (I can already hear howls from wireless fans, but I just felt happier from a security and set-up point of view.)

It's really daft, but having been with our current ISP for so long, it has given me a scary feeling about "moving" :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one, everything will be fine! :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks V_R :D - they were quick at getting back to me regarding the confirmation of the activation date, etc., so all very efficient so far :thumb: (Just hope that I am when it comes to connecting everything up! Lol) :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Itsme, but typical woman that I am, (changing minds and all that :rolleyes: ) I have actually signed-up with ADSL24, after checking out V_R's links (long way above) but very grateful for all pointers and help :thumb: Not had a chance to even explore my new router yet - due to not feeling too well at present - but will have to get a move-on so that I shall know what I am doing by activation day (next Tuesday.) So please wish me luck and a good following wind!! :lol:

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you Itsme, but typical woman that I am, (changing minds and all that :rolleyes: ) I have actually signed-up with ADSL24, after checking out V_R's links (long way above) but very grateful for all pointers and help :thumb: Not had a chance to even explore my new router yet - due to not feeling too well at present - but will have to get a move-on so that I shall know what I am doing by activation day (next Tuesday.) So please wish me luck and a good following wind!!
laughingsmiley.gif

Your very welcome and good luck> it is straight forward well for me anyways:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thanks Itsme, yes, it's just me getting into panic-mode :lol: I do that sometimes, then afterwards I sit back and wonder why :p ........ unless it goes wrong of course, then I sit back and KNOW why :lol: :D

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thanks Itsme, yes, it's just me getting into panic-mode
laughingsmiley.gif
I do that sometimes, then afterwards I sit back and wonder why :p ........ unless it goes wrong of course, then I sit back and KNOW why
laughingsmiley.gif
:D

You will be fine don`t worry;)

Ask a Question