BT Minimum calls fee ... huh!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, for the first time ever, I get conned by BT. OK, maybe not the first time, but this one takes the biscuit. :rolleyes:

The minimum calls have not been made. To avoid future charges, make 2
chargeable or inclusive calls per month or more with BT ... charged £2.70
huh! pass that by me again will you. If I don't use the phone, I get charged extra. :confused: Listen pal, go take a running jump.

I don't need, or even want, the phone anyway, however, con number one is, you "need" a BT landmine (sic) or they won't give you broadband. This applies to a few other broadband suppliers also. That one really baffles me.

I have "spoken" to the nice Indian gentleman who agreed with me that this "charge" was a bit silly and assured me I will be credited on my next bill. I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm very limited in finding an alternative broadband supplier as there is NO cable in my street. I'll need to use the BT exchange which has been upgraded to the newish fast-ish ADSL24 ... so, once again, I'm on the hunt for an alternative.

BT, kiss my ............

:user:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Unbelievable! :eek:

I haven't had a landline for over 10 years now as I have a mobile and it does the same thing, only without a wired tether..:D
Have Virgin fibre optic Broadband so no need of a landline there either!

Go tell em to take a hike Muck's

muckshifter

Reaction score
My ISP do line rentals with their BB.... http://adsl24.co.uk/linerental/

:)
So does mine, it's a must have, or no BB ... why?

My BB & calls costs me £13.25pm, unlimited, upto 24mb (I average 18mb) Line rental is £14.60

That ADSL24 starts @ £12.90, I assume that very basic, so I had a look, I will probably be paying £26.90 for what I get from BT.

I'm checking eBay. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Unbelievable! :eek:

I haven't had a landline for over 10 years now as I have a mobile and it does the same thing, only without a wired tether..:D
Have Virgin fibre optic Broadband so no need of a landline there either!

Go tell em to take a hike Muck's
Your home isn’t in a cable area
That means we can’t give you fibre optic broadband
, or TV.

But we’d love to give you great Virgin Broadband down your phone line (our National broadband). It’s available in most places in the UK.
Looking at costs, especially the small print hidden details "£6.99 wireless router delivery fee applies to all new subscriptions" I may be better off with a company called BT. :)

Looks like the same V package is from £15.99 a month Plus a Virgin Phone line for £13.90 a month, not sure I can have one without the other?

[edit]Ok, more info ... It'll cost £27.99pm with a BT line, will "need" a BT line, or, £15.99pm + £13.90pm (£29.98) for Vergin line, apparently I need that also. :sleep:

:user:

Reaction score
Problem is aswell Virgin will not/refuse/not allowed/ politics, use BT's installation. They install their own..

Tried Talk Talk?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I know that you need a BT line to receive BT BB... but ADSL24's £12.90 charge is for (BT) line rental, (you don't actually have to get BB from them and, would only pay for calls if you make them.) So would it be possible to rent your BT line from them, whilst sticking with BT for BB...? After all, it's still a BT line, but with UK offices/support, etc.

muckshifter

Reaction score
ok, I need to clear up one point here ... I don't want BT telephone, I just want the Broadband, however, you cannot negotiate one without the other ... its a "con" charge. :)

The same seems to go for ALL the others that are not cable, I loved cable, I can't get it here. :(

I know that some, include the line rental, and, like Virgin, have their own "lines", but I still can't seem to find anything on par to BT, in cost ... despite the stupid, never had before, min call fee, of which, I'm not going to pay.

I'm looking for unlimited Broadband, I don't need the phone, but if it comes as a free addition, what the heck, fine.

I am seriously looking, and reading the very small print, some, including BT, hide a lot of the actual cost behind these "special" offers.

I phoned, or tried to phone, for some clarification, Virgin, using their 0845 number, and, after numerous punching in numbers was told to phone another 0845 number, where I was then asked to press 1 on my Virgin phone ... huh! :wall: :rolleyes: the mind boggles.

:confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband-speed-test

I guess you may have already found this site. After taking the test it gives a list of the cheapest deals around for your area.
Quite a few ISP's will cut the line cost if you pay for a year up front, for instance mine will give me the line for £9.99 if I pay for the year.

look.gif

Ask a Question