Do you still pay for software?

journalistUK

Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

If you do wish to contribute, please post a message on this thread or
email me at the address given.

Many thanks.

John Corliss

Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

If you do wish to contribute, please post a message on this thread or
email me at the address given.

Many thanks.

It's hard to go entirely with freeware unless you're consciously trying.
This is because when you buy hardware, a lot of it comes with good
commercial software included.

--
Regards from John Corliss
I don't reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett, Doc (who uses sock puppets)

Journalist

Point taken. Although I'd be keen to speak to anyone who always looks
for free software first. I accept that you will inevitably have some
commercial software pre-loaded on your computer, not least of all
Windows.

allbpen

I have not paid for any software on my pc. Although it is not freeware-
it was free for me. Does this count? do I win 5 pounds?

Man-wai Chang

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

Impossible to avoid payment, unless you support piracy.

M$ still did a fine job with WinXP, notably the multi-lingual support
and AppLocale. Also, Window$ still have the best games....

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision. SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.15.6

El Gee

(e-mail address removed) wrote in
Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

If you do wish to contribute, please post a message on this thread or
email me at the address given.

Many thanks.

Our PC's are 100% freeware (sans the OS). Freeware does exactly what I
need. My Linux box is 100% freeware/open source.

El Gee Www.mistergeek.com <><
Know Christ, Know Peace -- No Christ, No Peace
Remove .yourhat to reply

hummingbird

Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

If you do wish to contribute, please post a message on this thread or
email me at the address given.

Many thanks.

I aim for freeware but it's sometimes not possible. I'm particularly
interested in s/w which doesn't fill up the Registry with bloat. Some
of the best s/w products available are often payware but on the other
hand, much freeware is unbloated and does just what you want. Many
small freeware utilities around.

Whirled Peas

Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

My very uninformed opinion is that the average user does not know a free
alternitive exists for a given application.

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

I'm not in the UK, but my home PC is running freeware only (outside of a
few commercial games) including the Linux OS.

For me one of the greatest merits of freeware, particularly FOSS is choice.
I can choose what program to use and how to use it. I am not bound by the
terms of the EULA and can (with open source software), if I have the skill,
modify it to work the way I want it to work.

That ability to modify it makes for another of the greatest merits. One
person can write aprogram to the best of his abilities where a group of
people can make it better by adding / improving features. As the program
gains popularity, the potential developer base outgrows even the lerge
commercial software companies.

Susan Bugher

Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

re: terminology. . .

The phrase "free software" doesn't always mean free of cost. . . See:

alt.comp.freeware's ware glossary is here:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php
I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

The goal for a Freeware author is to create a program that performs the
desired functions.

Commercial software may be designed to meet a different goal - to create
a product that produces the highest possible profit for the creator -
functionality may be sacrificed; programs may be bloated to make them
more saleable . . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
The goal for a Freeware author is to create a program that performs the
desired functions.

Commercial software may be designed to meet a different goal - to create
a product that produces the highest possible profit for the creator -
functionality may be sacrificed; programs may be bloated to make them
more saleable . . .

Freeware authors don't have to consider the size of their "market". Some
highly specialized Freeware programs may not have a commercial counterpart.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Maynard Man

Susan Bugher said:
(e-mail address removed) wrote:
The goal for a Freeware author is to create a program that performs the
desired functions.

Commercial software may be designed to meet a different goal - to create a
product that produces the highest possible profit for the creator -
functionality may be sacrificed; programs may be bloated to make them more
saleable . . .

Susan

I agree with what you say but I'm not sure about the "functionality may be
sacrificed" bit.
Surely without it, their product would not be marketable?

Maynard Man

Man-wai Chang said:
Impossible to avoid payment, unless you support piracy.

M$ still did a fine job with WinXP, notably the multi-lingual support and
AppLocale. Also, Window$ still have the best games....

I agree.
I find freeware is aimed to do one function, which is why I end up using 2
or more freeware products to achieve my end result. This can be time
consuming and laborious. Payware products tend to do this in one sweep. I
have a combination of free and pay because I like to do things once rather
than mess around. I have a good social life, so I don't have the time to sit
in front of my pc all the evening and weekends, I'm just not that boring.
Although I'm like most people and will take something for nothing where I
can, I also don't have an issue paying for something that saves me time. I
would also suggest that some people are just tight fisted. It hurts them to
put their hand in their pockets. You only have to read some of the
signatures here with things like "no payware or shareware for me please".
You can tell a lot about a poster from their signature!

Anonymous

You must learn that there are 2 types of freeware

One is freeware, that a programmer writes and gives the program for free,
yet he retains the code closed.
If he wishes, he can make the program a commercial product and pull the
freeware versions from the various servers.
This has been done many times.

And then we have the open source programs, that gives away the code of the
program
so that others can improve, adapt or change the program to his or her needs.

I try to find freeware alternatives to commercial products and I let people
know
about them also. But when I need a program that is only available
commercially,
I get it.

The main problem is that your average user has no idea about what is
available for
free, or has a fear that free means low quality. This is not always the
case....
Most of the internet today is driven by free (opensource) software mainly
linux.
This is well known to the tech people behind the scenes, but your average
internet surfer has no idea about how it works, nor really cares!

People have to open up their minds and be released from the notions
that you will never get anything of value for free.
It is a mental block most people have.
There are ways to have limitless energy for free, yet some scientific minds
block out this notion with such a tremendous force,
that it leaves them blind to the real possibilities of an infinite universe.
Those who do dare to investigate are ridiculed by
their colleagues.

Franklin

The goal for a Freeware author is to create a program that
performs the desired functions.

Commercial software may be designed to meet a different goal -
to create a product that produces the highest possible profit
for the creator - functionality may be sacrificed; programs may
be bloated to make them more saleable . . .

"programs may be bloated to make them more saleable".

This is so true.

I don't think there is a lot of bloated freeware around at all.

BoB

Hi,

I'm writing a story about free software, and the reasons why people
still pay for propietary software when there's so much good free
software available now.

I'm particularly keen to speak to people, preferably in the UK, who
never pay for software and run a completely 'free' set-up (not
necessarily including the operating system).

However, if you have any views to share on the merits of free software
versus commercial products, I'd be delighted to hear from you.

If you do wish to contribute, please post a message on this thread or
email me at the address given.

Many thanks.

I've found a few instances where shareware better met my needs.

Without naming names:

Registry Editor
Text Editor
Antivirus
File Backup
Uninstall Manager
Downloader
File Manager

I have tested every known freeware equivalent to the above seven
programs and decided, due to their efficiency, the cost of these
seven was worth it to me.

I also have 125 freeware programs installed. About a dozen of
which I use frequently and the balance occasionally.

BoB

Franklin

One is freeware, that a programmer writes and gives the program
for free, yet he retains the code closed.
If he wishes, he can make the program a commercial product and
pull the freeware versions from the various servers.
This has been done many times.

Unfortunately for the software author it's a bit like Pandora's Box.
Once the freeware is out in the world then it's hard to force
resourceful users to pay for later chargeable versions.

Some authors do a better job than others of removing their early
freeware versions from servers.

But the freeware world has a secret weapon in Susan Bugher who can
track down an old copy of even the most obscure freeware. And
frequently does so. Her success rate is amazing.

:)

RGreen

This is so true.

I don't think there is a lot of bloated freeware around at all.

Oh, lucky you, you've never seen Fedora, Slackware, or similar Bloated Linuz
Distros...

Journalist

Many thanks for all of your comments, they are much appreciated.

Can I ask in general if people trust Freeware as much as commercial
products? Do you find it as stable and is support available if you need
it?

Thanks

Journalist

Maynard Man - could you please send me your e-mail address as I'd like
to ask you a couple of follow up questions, if poss?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Of course.. nothing can escape me either...

But lets be very honest here....

Newer versions are no longer free.....
and you are acting against the will of the developer most of the times,
since they say (most of the times) in the agreement that distibutuion
without liscence from him/her is not allowed.
You may say that you are not one who is distibuting but only downloading
from the source.
You can tell that to the record companies who are attacking with lawsuites
downloaders of media through P2P networks.

Technically it is still stealing.. why not crack or hack a commercial
product then?

Perhaps it is to say to yourself that you are not a thief?

I am just speculating.. I use old freeware myself that I have stored on
cdroms,
or find from third sites/mirrors on the internet.

I am amused to see that no one is commenting on the free energy part of my
post.