Do you grow vegetables?

Reaction score
Do any of you grow vegetables in your garden or allotment?

Well I am after a little advice. For the very first time I am growing cucumber plants and green pepper.

Have any of you ever grown these in the English climate with success?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
Do any of you grow vegetables?

Not intentionally but sometimes if I don't bathe for a few months great big flocks of aubergines, carrots and broccoli start sprouting from my underpants. It can be jolly uncomfortable, I can tell you.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Not intentionally but sometimes if I don't bathe for a few months great big flocks of aubergines, carrots and broccoli start sprouting from my underpants. It can be jolly uncomfortable, I can tell you.

5 a day keeps the doctor away!!!!

How does the aubergene grow then?

Did you get success with the broccoli?

My plant died I don't know why.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
psd99 said:
My plant died I don't know why.

If it was a cucumber pepper hybrid they are very dificult to grow. You did only have the one plant ??

Ordinary cucumbers and peppers really need to be in a green house. Though you can grow peppers on an indoor windowledge.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
On a serious note...

In my new place I have quite a large patio and I have been considering growing vegetables in troughs or growbags but I haven't a clue where to start.

I was going to go to the library to get me's a book or two on the subject but if anybody has any advice on how to get started I'd apreciate it.

I was thinking of maybe tomatoes and peppers to start with.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
Buy the troughs and grow bags first and go from there:D

Outstanding :rolleyes:

So I have this trough, I have this growbag and now I do what?

Buy some soil for the trough?

Poke tomato seeds into the growbag and wait for stuff to pop up?

Only gardening I've ever done is mow the grass and grow some home made herbal smoking mixture some time ago ;) so I really am a novice.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
My Way

10x10 land..seeds then throw then trample then water then let mother nature oversee give it a 2 season wait = self sustaining food :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Trough, growbag, local market or garden center etc for some small plants,make holes in growbags,plant plants, any type of veg you like, water, watch, harvest, cook, eat, enjoy.

Its abit l;ate in the year buit you might be able to grow something. Carrots and radish will still grow but then you would need to empty the grow bags into the troughs, then scatter the seeds, instructions on packet. Get some night scented stock seeds and mix them in and you will have a luverly fragrant patio aswell.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If it was a cucumber pepper hybrid they are very dificult to grow. You did only have the one plant ??

Ordinary cucumbers and peppers really need to be in a green house. Though you can grow peppers on an indoor windowledge.

happywave.gif

it's four cucumber plants

and then around 6 green pepper plants
they are all individual.

so will they be difficult to grow outdoors the cucumbers?
thing is right now they are look like my green marrow plants and they grow really well without a greenhouse.

I think the green peppers need some hot conditions but didn't know the cucumber plants did

But you know as you are up norf it's colder up there so no wonder you didn't get any outdoor success.
:lol:

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
On a serious note...

In my new place I have quite a large patio and I have been considering growing vegetables in troughs or growbags but I haven't a clue where to start.

I was going to go to the library to get me's a book or two on the subject but if anybody has any advice on how to get started I'd apreciate it.

I was thinking of maybe tomatoes and peppers to start with.

I know with tomatoes you need some sort of greenhouse. As for peppers that's a learning curve for me.

For a neewbie you should try growing onions, raddish, herbs, runner beans or carrots.

These are all relatively easy to grow except you must be careful on how you space the seeds. Best time to plant would be in April/May.

Onions, raddish, carrots are all ground vegetables meaning they grow in the ground. Runner beans as you probably know are overground and can be fun to grow.

I love growing potatoes myself really do. They need a lot of water and care and take a long time to grow but they produce the potatoes around August time. I'll show you some pictures when I upload them.

One of the best feelings about growing your own vegetables is the joy of consuming them afterwards. So wonderful!

My next stop next year are berries.

I've already got strawberries, I intend to get blackberries, raspberrie and blueberries. Beware these crops have PRICKS and bees! :)

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Trough, growbag, local market or garden center etc for some small plants,make holes in growbags,plant plants, any type of veg you like, water, watch, harvest, cook, eat, enjoy.

Its abit l;ate in the year buit you might be able to grow something. Carrots and radish will still grow but then you would need to empty the grow bags into the troughs, then scatter the seeds, instructions on packet. Get some night scented stock seeds and mix them in and you will have a luverly fragrant patio aswell.

happywave.gif

Interesting didn't know you were much of a gardener is your area really rural?

I live in a rural area but it's very small. We got barns, farms, lakes, fruit trees and wildlife. I love this sort of thing.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My place is so rural that the one track road I live of turns into a Green Lane after it gets past the turn of for the dusty track to my place.

:D

P.S. there is no such thing as a pepper/cucumber hybrid. :p
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
My place is so rural that the one track road I live of turns into a Green Lane after it gets past the turn of for the dusty track to my place.

I like the sound of that

how are you with mobile signal, broadband, electricity, and tv signal then?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Everything works fine and satelite tv is great. Broadband is a slow 516 KB due to being so far away from town.Terrestial tv is ok too.

Gas is worrying as prices went up from £27 to £49 last year and I use 4 bottles a year. Wood for woodburner is no problem as I keep planting new trees and they are growing fast with all the rain. Central heating works of the woodburner which can be set to run through the night due to modificatinos I have made.

Reaction score
**** that's well slow 516k connection!!!

we get only 2mb but it's more like 1.5. I don't live in a town I live in a village! Very rural around here.

u got a woodburner? wow I like the sound of that. :) :) Do you come down south much then?

Ask a Question