Windows XP dns issues 2000 server

Reaction score
If anybody can help. This is the situation. I have 2000evaluation software from my server class. I have a test machine that is running it now. I have my local network total machines =4, this includes the server. I have a Dlink wireless router behind a at&t dsl modem. Everything is running great. My problem is that I am trying to run ad on the test machine( this machine is hardwired to the router and is now static with an ip). I have configured the ad and dns however I can not log on to the domain from the basement computer. I can ping it I can remote to it But I can not log on to it. When I config dns I did not get the four srv records. I did try to manually put them in. I have a feeling it is something simple.
any thoughts from anybody. I do not want change to much with dlink router The server is static on the router and on the machine?
thanks sammy14

Reaction score
can you log on to the domain from any other computer? except DC.

if you can try removing and readding the computer to the domain.

Reaction score
2000 dns server

I can remote to it ping it nslookup it. When I nslookup it it says defualt server is ---------- which is my domain.
My server name is testserversam. I may just reload everything and start over. thanks
sammy14

Reaction score
HI,I suggest you can provide some other information to us,eg. EVent ID /message, error information etc.
as your describle,its seems that your AD does not work ,or work with incorrect.

Reaction score
the four srv records

I guess it has somthing to do with the 4 service records _tcp_udp_sites& msdcs. I think I need the active meaning I think I have to configure them. I have them created but but not set up. I ceated them manually.
My server name is testserver and my internal domain is xxxxxx.com I guess i need to know how to configure them. I am just trying to log on to my domain. I am in the learning phase
thanks sammy14

Reaction score
I figured it out

Thanks two the folks that responsed to my messages. However i figured it out. I just dcpromoed demoted and started again and used integrated zone along with I do my own dns and It worked.
sammy14

Ask a Question