Disk Defragmenter not installed

mark

I had my computer for about a year. I decided to do a
disk defrag. I took the route MY Computer - Open - C: -
Properies - tools - Defragment now and it indicated "The
disk defragmenter is not installed on your computer".
Then gave me instruction on how to install it.
"double click the add or remove programs icon in the
control panel"
"click the install / uninstall tab and follow directions"

The problem is there is no install/uninstall tab in
add/remove programs in Windows XP Home. If I try to run
Disk Defrag by another route I get the message " cannot
access device, file or path . Does anyone know how to
install Disk Defragmenter with me having to reload the
the Windows XP. I still can't figure out why it didn't
not install with the other tools during Operating System
install.

I would appreciate any help I can get, thanks.

Mark

Carrie Garth

| "mark" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | <SNIP> I decided to do a disk defrag. I took the route MY
| Computer - Open - C: - Properies - tools - Defragment now and it
| indicated "The disk defragmenter is not installed on your computer".
| <SNIP>

Try running the System File Checker tool. Perhaps it will reinstall the
files needed to successfully use the built-in Windows defrag utility.
For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article and Microsoft WFP/SFC documentation:

KB310747 - Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003
System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;310747

Windows File Protection and Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/winlogo/drvsign/wfp.mspx