disk cleanup problem

JD

Hi,

I used to use the Microsoft tool, Disk Cleanup, to remove the junk. Now
the tool just hangs there for two or three days (after I come back from
my vacation). The message shows "Scanning: Compress old files". I
tried to empty the recycle bin, delete my Outlook old emails, and delete
Netscape and IE's history first but it didn't help. Do you know any
resolution? Thanks for any help.

BTW, if I close the tool, I won't see the tool's popped up dialog box
again when restarting the tool, until after I reboot the system.

Tony

ps. I invoked the Disk Cleanup tool by right-clicking on my c folder,
choosing "property" from the menu, then clicking on the "Disk Cleanup"
button.

JD

Sorry to let you know more details. I am using XP with a 100 giga C
drive. Currently only 40 giga is used. Besides, I already ran
"defragment".

After I close the "Disk Cleanup" tool, the tool's dialog won't show up
again because its cleanmgr.exe process still hangs in the system. I
will have to go to the the task manager to kill it, or reboot the system.

LVTravel

Just a suggestion that probably won't help if Defrag went all the way
through to completion but it is worth a try. Run a Chkdsk /f on the drive.
You will have to answer Y to the question about running on the next reboot
and then reboot the computer. This will find any crosslinked files or
anything in the file structure that could be causing a problem.

David Candy

It hangs at a different location on the drive each time. It seems unlikely to be a file problem. I once ran it 100s of times and watched what file it was examining when it hangs. It was always different.

LVTravel

If it hangs in various places it wouldn't be a file problem (just as I said
it wouldn't be if defrag ran to completion.) Will Denny probably has the
appropriate fix for the problem in his post directing to Kelly's corner. I
forgot about that one.