Disappearing windows in new PC

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased a new Novatech PC with the following specs:

-----------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo e6300
Foxconn 9467MA series mobo

MAXTOR STM3250820AS [Hard drive] (250.06 GB)
1024 Megabytes RAM DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
---------------------------------
I am having a problem with a music program I use called renoise which uses VST`s which are basically programs (softsynths and effects plugins) that run within it.

These plugins have their own GUI which opens inside the program interface in a windows, window. The problem however is that these windows disappear regularly leaving a frozen section of the renoise GUI in their wake but having no other adverse effects. It seems therefore to be a purely graphics related problem.

The GUI of the plugins returns if refreshed by dragging over the borders of the screen.

I have already contacted the renoise developer and he is stumped with it and no one else seems to be reporting the same problem, it was suggested that it may be hardware based. Thus I am here to pick brains :)

My comp is still under warranty so will get back in contact with Novatech if this is hardware related but thought I should arm myself with a little knowledge from here first if possible.

Any advice much appreciated

4tune

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The first thing anybody will suggest is ... have you got all the latest drivers ?

Now, me being me, I likes to know the motherboard being used ... I can't find your model number ... Foxconn use a simple double numbering of their MBs, like, 946GZ7MA-8KRS2H ... at least the 946 tells me the chipset used, can you check the # for me. :thumb:

The program you mention uses directx, that is also worth checking out especially sound drivers, I have seen systems "crash" giving the impression of a video problem when in fact it was a sound driver problem. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
hi muckshifter,

thanks for ther reply,

I have checked that I have the latest directX and soundcard audio drivers (for M-audio 24/96 soundcard).

latest drivers for everything else I could think of also including graphics card.

Belarc unfortunately is not giving me the full number for the mobo, but I will get back when I find out what it is,

cheers

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
This is a little better ... download SIW here which is a free tool that can give you all of the information you need to know.

Not sure what else to suggest except contact the program vendor ... your PC is a good spec, but yes, it could be a "problem" video card ... I would expect to see other problems also if it was the card or other hardware. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for your help and recommendations muckshifter,

I went to last resort and did an XP re-install. It seems that this has fixed the problem (fingers staying crossed)! :)

This should hopefully save a lot of phone calls and deliveries to Novatech.

Again cheers

4tune

Ask a Question