    Hello,

    From what I can tell, this isn't possible, but figured I'd ask here anyway.
    I've noticed that some web based games (Flash or Java) require that you use
    the arrow keys to navigate the game screen; however, when you use the arrow
    keys, the scroll bar moves along with the game character which can be quite
    annoying. I don't have any problem with Firefox, but my friend insists on
    using Internet Explorer, so I just wanted to know: is it possible to disable
    arrow key scrolling within IE?

    Thanks

    Gary, Sep 25, 2008

  2. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello,
    >
    > From what I can tell, this isn't possible, but figured I'd ask here anyway.
    > I've noticed that some web based games (Flash or Java) require that you use
    > the arrow keys to navigate the game screen; however, when you use the arrow
    > keys, the scroll bar moves along with the game character which can be quite
    > annoying. I don't have any problem with Firefox, but my friend insists on
    > using Internet Explorer, so I just wanted to know:

    > is it possible to disable arrow key scrolling within IE?

    As an end user? Probably only by resizing the window so
    in contains the whole document without scrollbars.
    Otherwise you could try holding down a modifier key
    while you press the cursor key, in case that combination
    would be ignored by the browser but seen by the web program.

    BTW I don't think that the symptom that you are reporting is normal
    so you could also experiment from the point of view of disabling or
    uninstalling other programs that might be interfering and causing this.

    > Thanks

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Sep 25, 2008

  3. Gary

    Guest

    Yeah, this is annoying..but I've found that you can get around it by
    creating an iframe on the page about the size of your flash movie and
    then putting the game in the iframe. For this, the user will have to
    mouse click the area in the iframe, but it will prevent the scrolling.

    , Oct 10, 2008