Disable Microsoft Office File Validation

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Discussion' started by Iain King, Jun 30, 2011.

  1. Iain King

    Iain King Guest

    As per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584

    "Known issues with Office File Validation

    * Files that were created in Microsoft Excel 2.0, Microsoft Excel
    3.0, or Microsoft Excel 4.0 will fail validation when you use Office
    File Validation in Office 2003.
    * Solver.xla will fail validation when you use Office File
    Validation in Office 2003.
    * When you paste lots of charts or points of data into an Office
    2003 document, the paste function may take a long time to complete
    while Office File Validation tries to validate the new data.
    * Opening files from a network share that have many charts or
    points of data will take longer to open in Office 2003. "

    We just installed this update across our system, and the last issue is
    the problem (we use Office 2003): "will take longer" in this case
    means crippling long load times, and all our workbooks are on network
    shares. Microsoft is investigating, and I expect there'll be a fix
    sometime soon, but meanwhile we can't get any work done.
    Is there a way to disable this feature? It is labelled an Add-In, but
    does not appear in the add-ins list.

    !!!Found the answer before I hit send on this, at:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg985445(office.12).aspx

    paraphrasing:
    "To prevent Office File Validation from validating files you must
    create the following DWORD registry key and assign it a value of “0”
    for the specified application in Office 2003 or Office 2007:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\<11.0 or 12.0>
    \<application>\Security\FileValidation\EnableOnLoad
    "

    Posting anyway, since when I searched the microsoft.public.excel the
    answer wasn't here.

    Iain

    Iain King, Jun 30, 2011

  2. Iain King

    Gavin Hall Guest

    On Jun 30, 9:46 am, Iain King <> wrote:
    > As perhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501584
    >
    > "Known issues with Office File Validation
    >
    >     * Files that were created in Microsoft Excel 2.0, Microsoft Excel
    > 3.0, or Microsoft Excel 4.0 will fail validation when you use Office
    > File Validation in Office 2003.
    >     * Solver.xla will fail validation when you use Office File
    > Validation in Office 2003.
    >     * When you paste lots of charts or points of data into an Office
    > 2003 document, the paste function may take a long time to complete
    > while Office File Validation tries to validate the new data.
    >     * Opening files from a network share that have many charts or
    > points of data will take longer to open in Office 2003. "
    >
    > We just installed this update across our system, and the last issue is
    > the problem (we use Office 2003): "will take longer" in this case
    > means crippling long load times, and all our workbooks are on network
    > shares.  Microsoft is investigating, and I expect there'll be a fix
    > sometime soon, but meanwhile we can't get any work done.
    > Is there a way to disable this feature?  It is labelled an Add-In, but
    > does not appear in the add-ins list.
    >
    > !!!Found the answer before I hit send on this, at:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg985445(office.12).aspx
    >
    > paraphrasing:
    > "To prevent Office File Validation from validating files you must
    > create the following DWORD registry key and assign it a value of “0”
    > for the specified application in Office 2003 or Office 2007:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\<11.0 or 12.0>
    > \<application>\Security\FileValidation\EnableOnLoad
    > "
    >
    > Posting anyway, since when I searched the microsoft.public.excel the
    > answer wasn't here.
    >
    > Iain

    Thanks for this. I've been pulling my hair out for the past 24hours as
    several of my PCs running Office 2003 and Windows XP have started
    having problems opening Excel files over the network. As per you,
    local Excel files open immediately, but over the network you can be
    waiting ages,

    Anyway, my fix was to simply uninstall the "Microsoft Office File
    Validation Add-in" KB2501584 via Control Panel Add/Remove Programs and
    Excel is returned to normal function! :)

    Hopefully this will help others.

    Gavin

    Gavin Hall, Jul 1, 2011

  3. Iain King

    Rosinant

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,
    yesterday after this update some of computer have problem to open files from network. last issue is
    the problem (with Office 2003) "take longer" long load times.
    :sleep:

    Rosinant, Jul 1, 2011
  4. Iain King

    Rosinant

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    in windows 7 i can't find this update in Add /Remove Program only i see on computers with XP have Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in

    Rosinant, Jul 1, 2011
  5. Iain King

    Ron_Ellis

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    We began accepting the 'high priority'Microsoft Office File Validation Add-In“ and found to our dismay and after hours of troubleshooting, it was responsible for a delay of 5 to 6 minutes on opening Excel documents over a network share. The same files locally or after removal of the the ofendign 'Add-in' would open in just 4 to 6 seconds (Not minutes)! Once identified we had no trouble removing the offending update, or blocking from future re-installation.

    Ron_Ellis, Jul 4, 2011
  6. Iain King

    gseales

    Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks Gavin! That fixed my problem with long delays opening Excel files on DFS. Server 2003 and XP Client.

    gseales, May 2, 2012