DHCP problems w/ laptop

Ken Bass

I am having problems with my laptop getting an IP address
from the DHCP server.

Setup: DHCP and DNS services on Win2K server.
Laptop running Win2k Pro.

IPConfig/renew returns: DHCP server unreachable.
The event viewer error is ID#1001: Semaphore period
timeout expired.

I have heard that there is a problem if the laptop goes to
sleep, and the lease expires - which is what is typically
happening in my situation. What should I do?

TIA

ken bass
kbb AT softsteps DOT com

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Ken,

This error "The semaphore timeout period has expired" is normally caused by a hardware
issue. We see this with switches that machines are plugged into. Try recycling your switch that
the laptop and DHCP server plug into. Could also be a sign that the nic for the laptop is going
bad. But work on the switch first. Replace it or test a hub with the laptop and DHCP server first if
possible.

Thanks,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "Ken Bass" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "Ken Bass" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: DHCP problems w/ laptop
'--'Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:51:09 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.