DFS - Links that have been removed still show up

Paul Smith

Our company has two offices. We have an office in Oregon and I'm in our
Texas office. We have a Windows 2000 network with two DCs in Texas and two
DCs in Oregon. Most of our PCs have Windows XP Pro. I created DFS in our
Texas office and then setup a root replica in our Portland office. The
problem is in our Portland office. When they display the drive letter
mapping to the DFS root there are old DFS links showing up that have been
removed. When I open the DFS utility it does not show the removed DFS
links. I can only speculate that their DCs still have the removed DFS link
information in the PKT. Is that possible? What do you think is the cause?

Mukul Gupta [MSFT]

No, deleted links information should no longer in DFS server's information
database. In W2K DFS, if we delete a link on a root-server, other root
servers also delete the link from their database however sometimes other
root-servers leave the just empty link folders around. That is probably what
you are seeing, right?

--
Thanks
Mukul [MSFT]

PS: Please post DFS related queries in newsgroup
microsoft.public.win2000.file_system. Please use "DFS" in subject to make it
immediately noticeable.

no rights

Brian [MSFT]

Looping in the primary DFS newsgroup

--
Brian [MSFT]

no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is
for newsgroup purposes only.

Paul Smith

Yes, that is correct. Whenever our Portland office maps a drive letter to
the DFS root they see the deleted DFS folders. I went to the DFS root server
and deleted the physical directories that made up the DFS links. Now the
Portland office does not see those DFS folders anymore. So, I take it from
what you are saying that this can happen from time to time?

One more thing that is strange. Twice this week I've had a shared directory
on a Windows 2000 server that we have a DFS link pointing to became unshared
or so it seems. There is a Collections shared folder and an HR shared folder
that have DFS links pointing to them. Today the HR share and Monday the
Collections share appeared to have lost there shared attribute. Whenever an
employee would click on the HR or Collections link it would say "access
denied". I went to the server where these directories are located and
displayed their properties. In both directories the "Do not share this
folder" radio button was selected. However, there was still a hand under the
yellow folder indicating that it was shared. I clicked on the "Share this
folder" radio button and typed in the share name and clicked on apply. There
was an error message stating that the folder was already shared with that
name and asked if I wanted to share it anyway. I clicked on "Yes". The
employees where then able to access the folders through the DFS links. Do
you know what caused this?

Paul Smith said:
Our company has two offices. We have an office in Oregon and I'm in our
Texas office. We have a Windows 2000 network with two DCs in Texas and two
DCs in Oregon. Most of our PCs have Windows XP Pro. I created DFS in our
Texas office and then setup a root replica in our Portland office. The
problem is in our Portland office. When they display the drive letter
mapping to the DFS root there are old DFS links showing up that have been
removed. When I open the DFS utility it does not show the removed DFS
links. I can only speculate that their DCs still have the removed DFS link
information in the PKT. Is that possible? What do you think is the cause?

Mukul Gupta [MSFT]

It is known issue in W2K DFS.

For your other issue, about target getting unshared - DFS has nothing to
with this. Someone else (user or program) is unsharing those folders. DFS
just redirects the clients to the target shares.

Thanks

Mukul