Dell Inspiron 15 3000 Laptop Touchpad Not Working

Reaction score
I have been dealing with a loss of my touchpad\curser for awhile now, so have had to plug in a mouse. Yesterday I ran epsc pre boot assessment which took a good 1\2 hour I guess. After the program was completed, I was able to use my touchpad/mouse on the epsc program interface until I rebooted, than lost the touchpad\mouse. Thanks Keith
PS: In order to get out of the epsc program I had to reboot.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, that's good news in a way - as it means that the touchpad does work! :)

I've got a few questions to see what we can do to fix it:
  • Which OS are you using? Is it Windows 10 like before?
  • Are there any items showing in device manager that are missing drivers? They'll be marked as "unknown" or have an error icon next to them.
Assuming it's Windows 10, can you download and install the "Synaptics" touchpad drivers from here please:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-3000/drivers

If that doesn't fix it. Can you type "touchpad" on the start menu search and then see if the "on/off" toggle is enabled. It also may be worth looking at "Additional Mouse Options" on that same page to see if anything looks problematic there.

Reaction score
Well, that's good news in a way - as it means that the touchpad does work! :)

I've got a few questions to see what we can do to fix it:
  • Which OS are you using? Is it Windows 10 like before?
  • Are there any items showing in device manager that are missing drivers? They'll be marked as "unknown" or have an error icon next to them.
Assuming it's Windows 10, can you download and install the "Synaptics" touchpad drivers from here please:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukdhs1/product-support/product/inspiron-3000/drivers

If that doesn't fix it. Can you type "touchpad" on the start menu search and then see if the "on/off" toggle is enabled. It also may be worth looking at "Additional Mouse Options" on that same page to see if anything looks problematic there.

In device mgr under 'unknown devices' there are 3 different unknown devices, none of which has drivers installed."
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device." I do have Win10 installed. Thanks Ian. Keith

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess one of those may be the touchpad - did you try the link to the Synaptics drivers on the link above?

Reaction score
I guess one of those may be the touchpad - did you try the link to the Synaptics drivers on the link above?
Downloaded file and got this, "could not launch installer" This also,"
Update Package for Microsoft® Windows®
File Name:Input_Driver_GXX0X_WN32_10.1207.101.109_A02.EXE
Download Type:HTTP
File Size: 67 MB
Format DescriptionDell Update Packages (DUP) in Microsoft Windows 32bit format have been designed to run on Microsoft Windows 64bit Operating Systems. Dell Update Packages (DUP) in Microsoft Windows 64bit format will only run on Microsoft Windows 64bit Operating Systems. When selecting a device driver update be sure to select the one that is appropriate for your operating system.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You could try the installer direct from the Synaptics website, although I'm not sure which one you would need - perhaps try the first Windows 10 driver, then the 2nd one if that didn't work.

Reaction score
I've tried to d\l drivers from Dell and Synaptics with no success. Do ya think reinstalling Win10 might bring back the pad?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've tried to d\l drivers from Dell and Synaptics with no success. Do ya think reinstalling Win10 might bring back the pad?

Probably - especially if it was a factory restore with default drivers, but I'm sure there's a way to do it without resorting to that.

For the unknown devices, have you tried going to Properties > Driver > Update Driver and then click the "Search automatically for updated driver software" button? I wonder if Windows isn't searching for drivers automatically.

Reaction score
Probably - especially if it was a factory restore with default drivers, but I'm sure there's a way to do it without resorting to that.

For the unknown devices, have you tried going to Properties > Driver > Update Driver and then click the "Search automatically for updated driver software" button? I wonder if Windows isn't searching for drivers automatically.

I get this message below when I r\click on the three unknown entries in device mgr.

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
There are no compatible drivers for this device."

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

When I click on update drivers, there are none.

Reaction score
LOL!! I've also sent this question to Dell support, but haven't heard back yet. Thanks again for all your suggestions Ian as I've learned some different things thru your suggestions. Keith

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Keith - good luck :). Please do let me know if you hear back from Dell, as it would be great to know what the solution is.

Reaction score
Ian, just ran a ePsa Pre-boot, and when it was completed the touchpad worked, until I had to reboot. I haven't been successful in finding drivers that worked. I have three unknown devices listed under 'other devices" and no touchpad listed in device mgr. I'm posting this just in case just in case it might give you a new idea. This has been a bugger to solve. Thanks Keith

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If the Dell drivers and Synaptics drivers didn't work, I'm not sure what else it could be. You could try some driver finder software like Driver Booster (http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php) - I would never normally recommend something like this, and I've not tried it myself, but it may be worth a shot in your case. Once it has installed your drivers, you can uninstall it (and make sure not to pay for it, or buy any of the software it recommends).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Bite the bullet. Back up your data and do a factory reset or do a clean install :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bite the bullet. Back up your data and do a factory reset or do a clean install :thumb:

Yup, that may be the best option in the end - as a factory reset will have all of the drivers pre-installed :).

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Yup, that may be the best option in the end - as a factory reset will have all of the drivers pre-installed :).

Sorry I should have added my thought behind a factory reset is that the OS could actually be corrupt.

Ask a Question