deliberately printing 'grain'

Discussion in 'Printers' started by RCC, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. RCC

    RCC Guest

    I am using an Epson D120 (networked, mainly for documents) and an Epson
    Dx8400 (direct, as a copier and for photo printing). I know neither is
    a top end photo printer but fine for my needs. Also using Windows XP
    and Serif Photoplus X2.

    I wanted some high contrast mono prints with 'noise' so did the add
    noise and increase contrast manipulations in Photoplus. Normally when I
    print I get what I see on screen, but it looks like the printer driver
    is carefully removing the noise to give me what it thinks I want not
    what I want. I have tried matt paper, black ink only, and satin paper
    using the 'pseudo mono' achieved by using CMYK. Both give prints that
    are 'too good'.

    Does anyone have any hints and tips for printing deliberately grainy &
    contrasty prints before I use up a ton of paper trying out all the
    settings?

    Thanks
    --
    Richard C

    RCC, Jun 9, 2009

  2. RCC

    Peter Guest

    RCC wrote:
    > I am using an Epson D120 (networked, mainly for documents) and an Epson
    > Dx8400 (direct, as a copier and for photo printing). I know neither is
    > a top end photo printer but fine for my needs. Also using Windows XP
    > and Serif Photoplus X2.
    >
    > I wanted some high contrast mono prints with 'noise' so did the add
    > noise and increase contrast manipulations in Photoplus. Normally when I
    > print I get what I see on screen, but it looks like the printer driver
    > is carefully removing the noise to give me what it thinks I want not
    > what I want. I have tried matt paper, black ink only, and satin paper
    > using the 'pseudo mono' achieved by using CMYK. Both give prints that
    > are 'too good'.
    >
    > Does anyone have any hints and tips for printing deliberately grainy &
    > contrasty prints before I use up a ton of paper trying out all the
    > settings?
    >
    > Thanks

    I had a programme from Corel - ArtDabbler - that would provide this
    sort of effect

    Peter, Jun 11, 2009